What is the biggest waste of UK Aid you have witnessed?

Can you wait until I have left please? I have enough to worry about!
I'll let you light it. You can do the heroic "slow motion light a stick of dynamite with cigarette before throwing it over your shoulder and walk away without looking back" walk as you leave if you want.

Last edited:

Robme

LE
I think we have an obligation to help people who are significantly worse off than we are and doubly so in the event of natural disasters.

However, it is clear that over the last half century the trillions of pounds we have pumped into the third world has had almost zero effect on the lives of Jo Mbongo on the ground. I will be an OAP in February and I cannot ever remember a time in my life when the third world wasn't screaming for our cash.

I would restrict foreign aid to disaster relief and the provision of advice and consultancy (in infrastructure development, birth control, medical provision, education etc) rather than just allowing the money to cascade into despots pockets.

Money freed up by this might allow us to set up a sort of QRF disaster relief capability which would help those people who were in the greatest need of immediate help, rather than those who need a new armour plated Merc (to protect them from their loving populace!).

Even African academics can see the futility of most cash aid and aid projects. Check out Dead Aid by Dambisa Moyo.
This is the sort of post that should be read by MP’s, but they won’t.
One of the reasons we are told why we are facing a shortfall in recruits, is their is no reason to join there not being a war to fook about with.
Well perhaps a idea that might assist is a humanitarian corps, whose remit would be to go to these areas in need of aid/relief/rebuilding etc, and assist the country in need of help? That way there would no need to squander billions on money simply disappearing into the pockets of dark dictators (I wonder just how much Mugabe managed to squirrel away in Swis bank accounts in his life time??). Aid could be used just as it was needed when it was needed and as principled as a scalpel.
I wonder how many Arrsers realise just how often Cuba send medical aid teams out to disasters around the world? Often being the first in. Haiti being one example, which went on until the Yanks stoped their flights one day so that a bunch of politico’s could visit the site. Ummmm choices choices do we need medical aid or a bunch of spineless useless politico’s?.
You get my drift.
I have felt for a long time that the forces needs redefining, since Blair squandered Toms lives on yank oil wars it is clear that there needs to be a seperate but related ‘aid’ force, who can come in and assist with whatever needs doing. A long forgotten war which people tend to forget is Oman, when we had troops fighting for the Sultan AND we had vets, biologists, engineers etc looking to help what was a 15th century nation not only win the war, but also make the country worth wanting afterwards, and without the corruption.

I have felt for a long time that the forces needs redefining, since Blair squandered Toms lives on yank oil wars it is clear that there needs to be a seperate but related ‘aid’ force, who can come in and assist with whatever needs doing. A long forgotten war which people tend to forget is Oman, when we had troops fighting for the Sultan AND we had vets, biologists, engineers etc looking to help what was a 15th century nation not only win the war, but also make the country worth wanting afterwards, and without the corruption.
100% Why not a CIMIC battlegroup? This could not only draw in military capabilities but also serve as a central command for other government agencies to avoid wasting resources and producing more joint efforts.

We should have kept parity with the US on their CIMIC capabilities but instead for years it became a jolly for TA officers to beef up their CVs.

The funds, skills and public support are there. It shouldn't have to come to newspaper headlines to highlight how foreign aid needs to be revisited.

Last edited:

woger wabbit

Old-Salt

Whilst not UK Aid per se, seems the RNLI have been chucking money abroad whilst closing down lifeboat stations at home.
There is a thread that covers RNLI use of funds sent overseas. See RNLI- overseas expenditure wrong, wrong, wrong.

One of the reasons we are told why we are facing a shortfall in recruits, is their is no reason to join there not being a war to fook about with.
Well perhaps a idea that might assist is a humanitarian corps, whose remit would be to go to these areas in need of aid/relief/rebuilding etc, and assist the country in need of help? That way there would no need to squander billions on money simply disappearing into the pockets of dark dictators (I wonder just how much Mugabe managed to squirrel away in Swis bank accounts in his life time??). Aid could be used just as it was needed when it was needed and as principled as a scalpel.
I wonder how many Arrsers realise just how often Cuba send medical aid teams out to disasters around the world? Often being the first in. Haiti being one example, which went on until the Yanks stoped their flights one day so that a bunch of politico’s could visit the site. Ummmm choices choices do we need medical aid or a bunch of spineless useless politico’s?.
You get my drift.
My views exactly.

We have everything we need for a truly integrated global humanitarian response system already in place.

Amongst other things we (and our allies) have within our military/governmental agencies:
  • Huge fixed wing/rotary air transport capabilities
  • Engineering capabilities
  • Transport and logistics
  • Naval facilities
  • Those international rescue blokes/skills
  • Huge numbers of possible overseas bases (NATO, SEATO, Commonwealth countries
  • Medical skills - factor in MSF etc
These are all sunk costs as well. Sure, there are transactional costs (fuel, provisions etc) but just treat them as military exercises.

We know the basics of different types of disasters (floods v earthquakes v hurricanes etc) and the differing priorities of relief (water, food, medicines, power, housing). It can’t be too hard to plan for any likely emergency anywhere.

With respect to your point about recruiting just sell it as a constant “war” against disaster. All the travel, excitement and doing the job with little risk of getting croaked or fucked up.

Would it sell? I dunno but if asked “would you prefer painting flagstones white this weekend or parachuting into a tropical paradise (slightly fucked) full of cheap whores and even cheaper rum” I reckon I know what most young blokes would say.

100% Why not a CIMIC battlegroup? This could not only draw in military capabilities but also serve as a central command for other government agencies to avoid wasting resources and producing more joint efforts.

We should have kept parity with the US on their CIMIC capabilities but instead for years it became a jolly for TA officers to beef up their CVs.

The funds, skills and public support are there. It shouldn't have to come to newspaper headlines to highlight how foreign aid needs to be revisited.
Whenever I bumped into them on tour they were reservist (Tri-service) heavy, either in their actual PID or back filling a regular (Tri-service) one that was gapped. Not seen as very sexy by the regulars (Tri-service). They were often spotted sporting a locally made subdued version of the CIMIC badge with the 'M' changed for a 'N'. Only noticible if you looked closely.

I'm sure the CIMIC thing has been formalised with a new name but no longer quite so reserves heavy but can't think of the name.

Whenever I bumped into them on tour they were reservist (Tri-service) heavy, either in their actual PID or back filling a regular (Tri-service) one that was gapped. Not seen as very sexy by the regulars (Tri-service). They were often spotted sporting a locally made subdued version of the CIMIC badge with the 'M' changed for a 'N'. Only noticible if you looked closely.

I'm sure the CIMIC thing has been formalised with a new name but no longer quite so reserves heavy but can't think of the name.
I left end of 2015 and CIMIC in its entirety was being formalised. Not before time. I don't know its new name but fingers crossed its not just about aesthetics.

I'd rather set fire to Afghanistan
A very large USMC Major I met just before rolling across the border on Telic had not long ago come from the Horn of Africa. His opinion that it could all be turned into glass and improve the lot of humanity as whole was rather sobering - and he was definitely not of Caucasian persuasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk