What is the biggest waste of UK Aid you have witnessed?

Whilst not UK Aid per se, seems the RNLI have been chucking money abroad whilst closing down lifeboat stations at home.
See here . . . .

Robme

LE

Whilst not UK Aid per se, seems the RNLI have been chucking money abroad whilst closing down lifeboat stations at home.
This is heartbreaking, when you consider that the crews are volunteers, and the bosses who haven’t the gonads to face anything stronger than a force 2, spunk voluntary donations on burkinies for people who can’t swim in 3rd world countries.
The CEO of the RNLI has proved himself to be a right throbber when given the 3rd degree by the Sunday Wail, who had him under the bright lights, giving it large how everything was ok coz that what the RNLI do. This after sacking crew members for having a bit of black humour and having the entire volunteer crew of one lifeboat walk out. But worry not toms, they are advertising (in the Grunard) for a Welfare and safety officer at a very tasty £42,000pa.
I feel a force coming on as fund raising plummets and the Twot at the top is forced to walk the plank?

Twot at the top is forced to walk the plank?

Don't hold your breath on that one, as the heads of organised charities are a cabal of self help autocrats, if one is on the cobbles, others rally around to find him-her a non job, for big bucks on their gravy train, much like the inner circle of commerce and politics. All are corrupt, its just a matter of degree.

ericferret

War Hero
Not UK aid but German just to show we are not alone in tossing away the tax payers money.

Germany supplied a brand new BO 105 helicopter to Tanzania.
Every component had a spare and it had a full accessories package, floats, night sun searchlight e.t.c so the whole package was probably worth twice the price of a new aircraft. Just sat rotting in a hangar in Dodoma except two periods when it was used for a survey and to support a Shell contract.
In todays money you would probably be looking at about £6 million.
Think they sold it in the end.

I think we have an obligation to help people who are significantly worse off than we are and doubly so in the event of natural disasters.

However, it is clear that over the last half century the trillions of pounds we have pumped into the third world has had almost zero effect on the lives of Jo Mbongo on the ground. I will be an OAP in February and I cannot ever remember a time in my life when the third world wasn't screaming for our cash.

I would restrict foreign aid to disaster relief and the provision of advice and consultancy (in infrastructure development, birth control, medical provision, education etc) rather than just allowing the money to cascade into despots pockets.

Money freed up by this might allow us to set up a sort of QRF disaster relief capability which would help those people who were in the greatest need of immediate help, rather than those who need a new armour plated Merc (to protect them from their loving populace!).

Even African academics can see the futility of most cash aid and aid projects. Check out Dead Aid by Dambisa Moyo.

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt
Refugees explained with gumballs - proper scary stuff.

I really hope this message gets across, it seems that logic will out rather than someone accuse him of being a racist because importing immigrants doesn’t work and will not work ever, the issue needs fixing in their own countries led by their best.

Oily101

Swinger

Police in the Democratic Republic of Congo have arrested a former health minister for allegedly mismanaging funds allocated for the Ebola epidemic.
Oly Ilunga resigned as health minister in July after being stripped of responsibility for the fight against Ebola.
Police said they detained him because they had information that he intended to evade legal proceedings and leave the country.
He denies any wrongdoing.
In his July resignation letter, Dr Ilunga criticised the World Health Organization's plan to use an unlicensed vaccine against Ebola.
There was a shortage in supply of the previous vaccine and health experts argued another vaccine, which had not been widely tested, should be used.
Dr Ilunga said the previous vaccine was the only one with clinically proven effectiveness.
He also criticised the decision to remove him as head of the Ebola response team, and replace him by a committee which he said had interfered with his work.
Foreign donors have provided more than $150m (£120m) to combat Ebola in Dr Congo where more than 2,000 people have died since the start of the current outbreak.

Police in the Democratic Republic of Congo have arrested a former health minister for allegedly mismanaging funds allocated for the Ebola epidemic.
Oly Ilunga resigned as health minister in July after being stripped of responsibility for the fight against Ebola.
Police said they detained him because they had information that he intended to evade legal proceedings and leave the country.
He denies any wrongdoing.
In his July resignation letter, Dr Ilunga criticised the World Health Organization's plan to use an unlicensed vaccine against Ebola.
There was a shortage in supply of the previous vaccine and health experts argued another vaccine, which had not been widely tested, should be used.
Dr Ilunga said the previous vaccine was the only one with clinically proven effectiveness.
He also criticised the decision to remove him as head of the Ebola response team, and replace him by a committee which he said had interfered with his work.
Foreign donors have provided more than $150m (£120m) to combat Ebola in Dr Congo where more than 2,000 people have died since the start of the current outbreak.
Not sure if it was the same outbreak incident in Congo under his watch but I seem to recall a couple of years ago local medical workers involved with the ebola treatment going on strike due to not being paid ?

pinback2001

War Hero

That's the last penny they get from me I'm afraid. Has the world gone completely mad?

Don't hold your breath on that one, as the heads of organised charities are a cabal of self help autocrats, if one is on the cobbles, others rally around to find him-her a non job, for big bucks on their gravy train, much like the inner circle of commerce and politics. All are corrupt, its just a matter of degree.
Overseas involvement opens the way for senior management "fact finding" trips to sunny climes during the UK winter.

Last edited:
Don't forget they are earning all those airmiles too, to fund their personal holidays....
Not earning. Receiving or acquiring, but not earning.

A scam of the firse order.

The charidee industry, as others have pointed out on here is a corrupt boondoogle.

Well, my cousin is a station commander and he is pretty hacked off... no more donations from him or his people. Serious kick to the gonads with that news.

Latest Threads