What is the biggest waste of UK Aid you have witnessed?

Unfortunately these people don’t have a benefits system to bail them out when unemployed or when they reach retirement age. It’s those children who die all to easily, which the elders rely on to support them in old age. Thus without numerous children they face a life of poverty. The more children they have the more likely they are to reach a level of security in later life. It is also why contraception is seen as a white mans weapon to wipe out the black man.
I couldn't agree more. However, it is just not PC to point out this elephant in the room.

However, a lot of third world countries are getting a grip on fertility and family size. The benefits of this are enormous for the women, the family and the state.

Bangladesh is a good example. Their current total fertility rate is 2.1. In the 60s it was 6.6. So 2-3 kids/family on average, tending to the lower. This is a huge reduction on 7 kids/family. The reduction is primarily down to contraception, but other factors are involved.

This means the population is effectively stable (which might be a demographic timebomb primed for the future). Infant mortality is hugely reduced as is maternal mortality.

Have a look at the videos by Hans Rosling for some good news on this problem.

I couldn't agree more. However, it is just not PC to point out this elephant in the room.

However, a lot of third world countries are getting a grip on fertility and family size. The benefits of this are enormous for the women, the family and the state.

Bangladesh is a good example. Their current total fertility rate is 2.1. In the 60s it was 6.6. So 2-3 kids/family on average, tending to the lower. This is a huge reduction on 7 kids/family. The reduction is primarily down to contraception, but other factors are involved.

This means the population is effectively stable (which might be a demographic timebomb primed for the future). Infant mortality is hugely reduced as is maternal mortality.

Have a look at the videos by Hans Rosling for some good news on this problem.
A group us expats were standing on the sidewalk when the presidential convoy zoomed by with mo'bike outriders and other assorted luxe vehicles the Pres was seated in his Merc 600. One of our group remarked to our driver "nice that your president has a Merc" Our driver replied 'yeh! but we have no tablets in the hospital!"

It's probably been mentioned, good example the amount of money spent on Defence by India. Nukes, going to space, Carriers. Yet, we keep sending them all that aid money.
We might just as well send it to the Kremlin, from the amount of money their spending with Russia.

More UNPROFOR dits:

1. The head honcho was a Japanese geezer called Akashi. He complained he was getting wet whilst walking the 8 metres from his limo to his office building.

So the UN engineering unit organised a covered walkway.

They got in an architect.

He designed a 'fusion' of Japanese and Habsburg walkway with a copper roof. Not cheap.

Within 6 months the auditors were coming. Somebody panicked about the cost of the copper roof and painted over the expensive roof with the same paint used on the building.

Within a year the mission had downsized and Akashi was gone.

Good news was I inherited his office!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember that. Building A. 1994

It's probably been mentioned, good example the amount of money spent on Defence by India. Nukes, going to space, Carriers. Yet, we keep sending them all that aid money.
We might just as well send it to the Kremlin, from the amount of money their spending with Russia.
There is a reason all Labour governments want DFID to be a separate organisation under control of their apparatchiks!!!

YM

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile the lefty conspiracy charade of a charity called Oxfam has at last had its collar felt.

Reading through this thread has pushed me to write down my own experience of UK aid waste. Some 20 years ago I worked for a large UK contractor working in Ghana and one of our projects just being finished off was a brand new sewage waste treatment plant in Jamestown, Accra that would service much of the city. In 1999 DFID provided 22 million pounds of aid for the construction and the contract came complete with the supply of training for staff and operation for at least one year. The plant was completed in 2002 and designed to be sustainable, not fancy but rugged and dependable. We actually did a quality job and the plant worked perfectly for the entire time we were involved after handover.
Sewage plants are not difficult to maintain. Some greasing and minor repairs are generally all that are needed. My own recollection though is that within 3 years the plant was not functioning. I have read elsewhere that the time period was 7 years but perhaps this was to total collapse.
After we left the staff that were trained quickly drifted way to get jobs elsewhere, probably to places where they would actually get paid. It seems the uplift pump for supply of sewage to the plant finally failed and needed a repair that was never made rendering the whole place useless and once again all the shit went straight into the sea untreated.
I think a complete rehabilitation exercise may have been made in 2017 but don’t know where the money came from. Anyway, for the sake of perhaps 5 grand for a pump repair there was a verifiable waste of 22 million pounds for a plant that was quickly wrecked. Google “uenergy jamestown-waste-water-treatment-plant-accra” for further details.

I worked with USACE out in Baghdad for a few year. they built a huge base south of Baghdad for the Iraqi army, all the mod cons, 2 man rooms, first station with 3 fire engines, proper tank park and hagers ,couple of cook houses with fully operating kitchen. This place was genuinely better than any British camp id been to.

My memory could be playing tricks but I remember one of the American contractors say this place had cost $300 million by the time it was finished and was 3 years late.

We had a huge opening ceremony with Iraqi and American big wigs and we showed the Iraqi general around. the Iraqi general said it was 15 minutes too far away from Baghdad and didn't want it. Much flapping they managed to get the police involved for them to take it. They didn't want it either because they didn't want the Armies cast offs.

Went back too the base 6 weeks later and everything was gone. Air conditioning units, toilets, sinks, kitchen equipment, fire engines, doors. The building shells were left behind and that was it. USACE signed the contract off and left country. That was it.

We also spent a lot of time and money working on police camps out in the western desert. All lost to ISIS. The money the UK wastes is a drop in the ocean to what the yanks but into Iraq.

Watching super 15 rugby it appeared the Melbourne Rebels had the UNICEF logo on their shirts as a sponsor. I wonder if the old ladies who donate to this charity thinking that their generosity is going to help starving children know that is actually going to allow executives to have a jolly nice time in the corporate facility at the rugby.

ugly

LE
Watching super 15 rugby it appeared the Melbourne Rebels had the UNICEF logo on their shirts as a sponsor. I wonder if the old ladies who donate to this charity thinking that their generosity is going to help starving children know that is actually going to allow executives to have a jolly nice time in the corporate facility at the rugby.
I believe that as with Spanish football the sponsorship is gratis.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
They aren't sponsored by, they are sponsors of.

Aid to India, Pakistan & China. All 3 involved in the space race and all 3 equipped with atomic bombs.
All of Africa, who will always ensure that starving children with flys around their eyes are to the fore when it comes to another crop failure. Funny how they never parade all those weapons, tanks, air defence systems or talk about private swizzled bank accounts, when discussing the failure of another corrupt economy.
The west should leave Africa alone, stop funding anything, an dstop

Unfortunately these people don’t have a benefits system to bail them out when unemployed or when they reach retirement age. It’s those children who die all to easily, which the elders rely on to support them in old age. Thus without numerous children they face a life of poverty. The more children they have the more likely they are to reach a level of security in later life. It is also why contraception is seen as a white mans weapon to wipe out the black man.
That works in traditional rural communities to some extent. The reality is with increased urbanisation the children are the offspring of a mother and multiple sperm contributors. They're not cared for and end up on the street, often abused and absorbed into street gangs who prey on others. Most don't know where their mothers are or who their fathers are. Shit situation made worse by govt's complete lack of interest in doing anything about the problem unless there's something in it for the minister responsible.

And then they cross the Med...

That works in traditional rural communities to some extent. The reality is with increased urbanisation the children are the offspring of a mother and multiple sperm contributors. They're not cared for and end up on the street, often abused and absorbed into street gangs who prey on others. Most don't know where their mothers are or who their fathers are. Shit situation made worse by govt's complete lack of interest in doing anything about the problem unless there's something in it for the minister responsible.

And that's just in London...
No charge