What is the biggest waste of UK Aid you have witnessed?

I was tempted to give a funny for that post. I think the powers that be should look a lot more carefully at all such organisations who are dependant on govt. money & charitable donations by the public. Many are totally useless & don't benefit anyone but the few fat cats at the top. The charities that actively aid illegal migrants that we have seen operating from the Med right up to the Calais camps, should be prosecuted shut down, their workers jailed & assets seized.
Needless to say in the current establishment climate of fuzzy virtue signalling I am not holding my breath :-(

I was tempted to give a funny for that post. I think the powers that be should look a lot more carefully at all such organisations who are dependant on govt. money & charitable donations by the public. Many are totally useless & don't benefit anyone but the few fat cats at the top. The charities that actively aid illegal migrants that we have seen operating from the Med right up to the Calais camps, should be prosecuted shut down, their workers jailed & assets seized.
Needless to say in the current establishment climate of fuzzy virtue signalling I am not holding my breath :-(
I do recall HMG donating 30 million quid to one of its former colonies which immediately solved transport problems by turning into a fleet of Merc 600's some cabinet Minister with 2 portfolios took 2 vehicles as they were deemed too important for just one Merc. Needless to say the Quids were revoked immediately and some disgruntlement ensued. Racism had reared its ugly head = "Don't give me a canoe and then tell m how to paddle it"

I do recall HMG donating 30 million quid to one of its former colonies which immediately solved transport problems by turning into a fleet of Merc 600's some cabinet Minister with 2 portfolios took 2 vehicles as they were deemed too important for just one Merc. Needless to say the Quids were revoked immediately and some disgruntlement ensued. Racism had reared its ugly head = "Don't give me a canoe and then tell m how to paddle it"
Wales?

Likely apocryphal, but one former colony, run into the ground by what could possibly have been a Yorkshireman to the dyslexic, ordered a load of Mercedes luxury vehicles on the foreign taxpayer dime. When they arrived on the railway freight cars they were immediately offloaded and driven away by the proud new owners.

Apparently adding oil to the engines wasn't included in the purchase contract so most ended up as scrap within a couple of days.

Likely apocryphal, but one former colony, run into the ground by what could possibly have been a Yorkshireman to the dyslexic, ordered a load of Mercedes luxury vehicles on the foreign taxpayer dime. When they arrived on the railway freight cars they were immediately offloaded and driven away by the proud new owners.

Apparently adding oil to the engines wasn't included in the purchase contract so most ended up as scrap within a couple of days.
I find that difficult to believe.
A manufacturer like Mercedes would have run and tested the engines during manufacture and it would be very unlikely that the oil would have been drained after testing.
Also, the manufacturer would never have known where the vehicles were going, unless it was a special order.
The dealer may have known though.
I call, unlikely story.

I would love to know how much of the aid budget (a lot of it is unrestricted funding) is now being funnelled by some of the bigger charities (Save the Children, OxFam etc.) on beefing up their safeguarding in light of their own cock ups.

I find that difficult to believe.
A manufacturer like Mercedes would have run and tested the engines during manufacture and it would be very unlikely that the oil would have been drained after testing.
Also, the manufacturer would never have known where the vehicles were going, unless it was a special order.
The dealer may have known though.
I call, unlikely story.

That story reminds me of an old Afrikaner joke, very un pc I'm afraid, but I'll still put it on here.
An Afrikaner farmer was boasting to one of his pals in the pub, "I've trained a young baboon to drive my tractor & I'm going to get him to plough the 10 hectare field tomorrow" All his farmer mates were impressed & turned out nice & early next day to watch this momentous event.
The farmer gives a few last minute instructions to the baboon .. "now don't forget, keep the furrows really straight and whatever you do don't pile the plough up on that big rock in the middle of the field" The baboon gives the farmer a disgusted look and says "what do you think I am, a f **king kaffir?

I've posted this before elsewhere in more detail.

At the tail end of the Sierra Leone civil war fracas (when those RI lads were rescued by the hooligans) I was working a security lark there with a big comms coy doing infrastructure builds (comms masts, rebros etc). Loads of the kit would come in to the port at Freetown. The charidees would off load their kit at the same pier. Their stuff would be grain, non perishable foodstuffs, tents, blankets some valuable items in that neck of the woods. The charities were the big 'multi-national' types. Well known & mostly European centric in their fund raising. As a result, their procurement of the local services needed to get this kit up-country to the places that needed it most had to be done in accordance with EU tenders as some were of a size over the likes of the OJEU/OJEC threshold. With the oversight on these things, none of the local 'organisations' wanted to get involved as the usual way of doing things has always been backhanders & brown envelopes. Its not corruption to them, its how life is. The big charities wouldn't grease palms. So all this gear ended up in 'secure' warehouses waiting for something to be sorted. These warehouses were about as secure as my arse on a night on the curries. The local organisations would be in these places, nicking all this valuable kit, in the dead of night after slipping the sec guards some cash or threatening them with an AK. All the decent gear would end up for sale at uber mark up prices in the markets. Stuff clearly marked with the charity logos. We're talking millions of £ worth of gear going diffy

I would love to know how much of the aid budget (a lot of it is unrestricted funding) is now being funnelled by some of the bigger charities (Save the Children, OxFam etc.) on beefing up their safeguarding in light of their own cock ups.
In many capitals one can see fleets of very expensive UN owned vehicles Range Rovers, Toyota Sequoia, and various other 4 WD luxe all sporting Aerials, and other fancy telecomms. However, when one gets out to the fringes of the known world not one of these fancy vehicles to be seen just some old beater pick up long past due date and requiring tyres.

It's a shame there is no easily identifiable common denominator involved that could be avoided or dealt with in a different way.

With the oversight on these things, none of the local 'organisations' wanted to get involved as the usual way of doing things has always been backhanders & brown envelopes. Its not corruption to them, its how life is. The big charities wouldn't grease palms.
And therein lies a problem with aid & trade. Success can be limited by application of our values (re things like baksheesh or gender diversity) on recipient cultures!

Aid to India, Pakistan & China. All 3 involved in the space race and all 3 equipped with atomic bombs.
All of Africa, who will always ensure that starving children with flys around their eyes are to the fore when it comes to another crop failure. Funny how they never parade all those weapons, tanks, air defence systems or talk about private swizzled bank accounts, when discussing the failure of another corrupt economy.
The west should leave Africa alone, stop funding anything, an dstop
[DRIFT]

(Cough!)

Alternatively . . . STOP BREEDING . . . and, within a generation they wouldn't need ANY water!!

(Arrrgh!!).

[/DRIFT]
Unfortunately these people don’t have a benefits system to bail them out when unemployed or when they reach retirement age. It’s those children who die all to easily, which the elders rely on to support them in old age. Thus without numerous children they face a life of poverty. The more children they have the more likely they are to reach a level of security in later life. It is also why contraception is seen as a white mans weapon to wipe out the black man.

Found a wonderfully (in my opinion corrupt) situation with a charity today.

A non-charity NGO has set up a charity for the public to donate to. Said charity has been set up as a grant giving body that will not deal with unsolicited requests for grants, e.g. it is closed.

The charity has made one grant.

Back to the NGO that initially set it up.....

Found a wonderfully (in my opinion corrupt) situation with a charity today.

A non-charity NGO has set up a charity for the public to donate to. Said charity has been set up as a grant giving body that will not deal with unsolicited requests for grants, e.g. it is closed.

The charity has made one grant.

Back to the NGO that initially set it up.....
It's not that uncommon. E.g Greenpeace is a non charity NGO, with a charitable arm which makes grants to....... Greenpeace