What is the biggest waste of UK Aid you have witnessed?

Well this morning the big news story is that the government is spending 1.6 billion pounds or so over six years on rundown towns, mainly in the midlands and up north, this is to be spread over six years mind you.

Bloody hell we spent over £13 billion on foreign aid last year. Priorities?
I give up.

Struggling towns to get post-Brexit funding
Well ,not really the North. North W & E Midlands,very little coming the way of the North East or Cumbria apparently

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Well ,not really the North. North W & E Midlands,very little coming the way of the North East or Cumbria apparently
Maybe you could apply for overseas aid:-?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
And I got my water bill for next year just now.
It’s gone up by 91p a month ffs 91pence a month, and do you know what really annoyed me? Go on have a guess, no.
Well enclosed was a leaflet asking for a further £2.00 a month for water aid. Well guess what, I already donate to overseas charity in the form of my tax money going on foreign aid so that went straight into the bin!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh god, you've done it now, Speak its name and it shall come, though accompanied with the smell of stale shite rather than sulphur
Emperor Pong?

Well this morning the big news story is that the government is spending 1.6 billion pounds or so over six years on rundown towns, mainly in the midlands and up north, this is to be spread over six years mind you.

Bloody hell we spent over £13 billion on foreign aid last year. Priorities?
I give up.

Struggling towns to get post-Brexit funding
It's a rerun of this:

Ten UK cities shortlisted for share of £1.7bn fund to improve transport

Main thing to note is that schemes like this tend to offer "baseline funding" only and it is up to the happy winners then get to borrow shedloads more secured against the projected increase in long-term business rate income to actually build local infrastructure and fund regeneration projects.

City Deals can also feature an ‘Earn-back ' so Manchester gets to invest £1.2bn (through local transport levies and yes, more borrowiing) in infrastructure and then gets up to £30m per year for 30 years from Central Government. If, and only if, the Manc. economy grows above a set amount.

Sounds great until you clock this is all likely to run off lala land projections (see HS2), consultants and providers make a mint and all the financial risk resides with the local government. And it all falls into the hands of the likes of Andy Burnham

Described to me by a man who knows about such things as a fine candidate the next PFI scandal as there have been dark mutterings about "Governance" and "Capability"

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Id hate for an Indian rocket to plummet to earth killing every crew member cos us Brits aren't up to date on our " sorry we took over your country and dragged it out of the middle ages " payment
The polite thing to do is to leave things exactly as they are before you arrived.

A few rockets exploding on launch pads might just go some way to restoring at least some of the country. Of course, they'd need to loose a few nukes on the developed areas and have a major bout of civil unrest and civil wars to go the whole hog.

The guys in the countryside who currently get shafted by the government might in time be able to take India back to its fragmented medieval roots.

The polite thing to do is to leave things exactly as they are before you arrived.

A few rockets exploding on launch pads might just go some way to restoring at least some of the country. Of course, they'd need to loose a few nukes on the developed areas and have a major bout of civil unrest and civil wars to go the whole hog.

The guys in the countryside who currently get shafted by the government might in time be able to take India back to its fragmented medieval roots.
Now your just teasing

From the Amazon blurb for the David Craig book 'The Great Charity Scandal'
"There are more than 195,289 registered charities and charitable institutions in the UK that spend close to £80 billion of our money a year. Plus there are another 191,000 charities that don’t need to register.

According to a charity regulatory body, these charities make a huge thirteen billion ‘asks’ for donations every year – that’s around two hundred ‘asks’ for every man, woman and child in the UK."

Many charities appear to be a nice little earner for some people. Little chance of the Charity Commission asking what happens to the money after the execs have had their fill. The Commission, like all the other QUANGOS will not rock the boat and show themselves up as the useless Rent-Seeking troughers they are.

Last edited:
Post Rhodesia, the U.K. government spent millions billions zillions whatever on infrastructure projects for ungrateful mugabe and his cronies. One such project was some hydro-electric project at lake Kiribati (sorry if the spelling is wrong). Mug face appointed his brother in law with an IQ of a tadpole, to run the place, 6 months later is closed down ‘it was broken when I got here’ and to my knowledge has never reopened. The problem with Africa is tribalism not apartheid, but white liberals don’t want to know that so they ignore it, as,a result the whole of Africa is a basket case.
If you're thinking of the Kariba Dam, then maybe not.

The Kariba Dam was finally finished in 1977, some 2 years before Zimbabwe's creation, although it was started in the 1950's
Also apart from it's likely collapse, it's been going strong sine it opened.

Kariba Dam - Wikipedia

If you're thinking of the Kariba Dam, then maybe not.

The Kariba Dam was finally finished in 1977, some 2 years before Zimbabwe's creation, although it was started in the 1950's
Also apart from it's likely collapse, it's been going strong sine it opened.

Kariba Dam - Wikipedia

My bold.. actually it was finished when I visited it in 1961. The bit that wasn't finished was an additional power station see "constructed between 1955 and 1959 by Impresit of Italy[2] at a cost of $135,000,000 for the first stage with only the Kariba South power cavern. Final construction and the addition of the Kariba North Power cavern by Mitchell Construction[3] was not completed until 1977 due to largely political problems"

My bold.. actually it was finished when I visited it in 1961. The bit that wasn't finished was an additional power station see "constructed between 1955 and 1959 by Impresit of Italy[2] at a cost of $135,000,000 for the first stage with only the Kariba South power cavern. Final construction and the addition of the Kariba North Power cavern by Mitchell Construction[3] was not completed until 1977 due to largely political problems"
It's by-the-by, the target of my post was making it up

Nepotism is absolutely rife in these organisations, makes some dictatorships look like pillars of open democracy. Chairs hinting to CEO's that they should employ so and so because in spite of his disciplinary issues at the last place they were a genuinely good egg. CEO complies because they have also relied on said Chair for patronage. Or the charity/NGO employing a consultancy that also happens to have mutual board members etc. etc.
It's way beyond nepotism and deep into the realms of incest.