What is the biggest waste of UK Aid you have witnessed?

Various threads now have tackled the UK Aid abroad.

Rather than debating the pros and cons, for those who have been involved with NGOs, charities or non-profits...

What is the biggest waste of UK Aid you have witnessed?

Real stories, not apocryphal Daily Mail stories about Nigerian girl bands etc.

My starter....

A non profit that flew various management figures from an African company on an all expenses trip to London to attend an awards ceremony.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Band Aid, plenty of UK donations to that and Africa is still a fly blown shithole!

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Anything to do with Africa.

I know a couple of people who do these 6 month tour type wotsits in Uganda, spend time, effort, money, blood, sweat, tears etc building a well, only to come back 2 years later to find it swarming with militia charging for its use.. Back to square one.

Even if we took in a million refugees a year like Lily Allen and Bob Geldolf tell us to, the population is currently growing at 30 times that per year, and by 2050 is set to rise annually by 42 million - EVERY year.

Quite worrying when you stop and think where it's all going...

The 'friendship gate' at LKG, well I didn't see it being built, but it was being planned meanwhile the winterisation plan for our building turned out to be my joke* of 'bung a tarpaulin over it'.

*sometimes I really should shut the fuck up

Of all the fucked-up African sink holes for European aid that I've visited the worst in terms of wasted cash has to be South Sudan. Acres of barely used plant and equipment supplied by All the NGOs in the World. Guarded by UN troops to stop the locals nicking bits.

Soft Power and access to the local's natural goodies is the real reason HMGovernment splashes the cash..

The Chinese have the right idea - they build a few schools, the odd hospital and bribe whoever they need to in order to allow the import of cheap Chink mopeds/bikes until they have a sufficient foothold to start getting the proper work done i.e the relocation to China of a score of juvenile Rhinos from Zimbabwe. Or nicking cadmium..

NGO built a fish farm at great expense and got the locals involved, teaching aquaculture and making sure it was sustainable. Amid much fanfare it was handed to the villagers, big party ensued, beer and food provided. Went past there a couple of weeks later, ponds empty, no fish, place deserted.

Turns out the minute the NGO buggered off they climbed into what was left of the booze from the party, drained the ponds and scoffed all the stock, then went back to what they did before the NGO turned up, ie, sitting around scratching their balls while the women go out to forage and work in the fields.

This thread is tackling things from the wrong end.

It needs to be 'What is the best use of UK Aid?' It might be a short thread though.

However, if I can get a job with a NGO things can carry on as they are.

NGO built a fish farm at great expense and got the locals involved, teaching aquaculture and making sure it was sustainable. Amid much fanfare it was handed to the villagers, big party ensued, beer and food provided. Went past there a couple of weeks later, ponds empty, no fish, place deserted.

Turns out the minute the NGO buggered off they climbed into what was left of the booze from the party, drained the ponds and scoffed all the stock, then went back to what they did before the NGO turned up, ie, sitting around scratching their balls while the women go out to forage and work in the fields.
The NGO won't give a toss as long as they got a few photos of the finished fish farm before the locals wrecked it.
Tea and Medals in Oxford HQ and then on to the next pointless project. The senior project managers cannot be sacked from their well paid appointments unless they do something really bad - such as spill the beans to the press.

Makes yer bloody weep, doesn't it. Entirely typical.

Think it may have been a cloggie NGO. We should expect better from them but my experience of catastrophe tourists is that they're all cut from the same unemployable in the real world bolt of cloth. The few good eggs who make things work usually don't last long in the miasma of corruption and incompetence.

Anything to do with Africa.

I
Even if we took in a million refugees a year like Lily Allen and Bob Geldolf tell us to, the population is currently growing at 30 times that per year, and by 2050 is set to rise annually by 42 million - EVERY year.

Quite worrying when you stop and think where it's all going...
This is precisely why AIDS was developed - unfortunately the plan was ruined by allowing it to fall into the hands of the gays.

This is precisely why AIDS was developed - unfortunately the plan was ruined by allowing it to fall into the hands of the gays.
it wasn't their hands that were the problem

Cynics might care to peruse the changes pending thanks to the Commonwealth Development Corporation Act 2017.

One of those amends the limit on Government Assistance from £1,500 million to £6,000 million.

With the Secretary of State being given the ability by regulations to lift that to £12,000 million

Not Aid you understand, but "investment" via other private equity funds.

What could possibly go wrong

Inviting Scandal - DfID’s dangerous plans to expand its controversial private equity arm

Maybach Limousine with solid silver accessories and an 18 speaker sound system: $500,000

40th birthday party for 10,000 close friends held in the national football stadium: $250,000

Airbus A340 personal intercontinental airliner, painted in the colours of the national flag: $87 million

Mswati III, King of Swaziland, one of the poorest countries on earth: Priceless