What is the biggest deployable TA Formation?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Mar 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From what I've seen over the last year or so.

The largest 2 Med Bde, with 2 (NC) Sig Bde a distant 2nd. Not sure I can include the Sigs one as I don't think they can deploy into the field unlike the Medics, that have a proper deployable HQ.

Might be some others I'm not aware of.

2. msr

msr LE

A section?

msr

3. I met a QA from TA Field Hospital in the north. She is in posession of the biggest TA formation i have ever seen.

4. His Grace the Duke of Westminster's knocking shop?

5. A Troop / Platoon as IRs springs to mind!!!

I know 131 Cdo Sqn RE (V) and an STRE (V) deployed to Iraq 2003. These were formed units and not composite units as far as i am aware.

TA unit with a role???? Is that not a cold war idea???

Hmm,, I think this has been done to death already! :yawnstretch:

6. The 5th Div.

7. I don't think it has (well what the TA really deploys has - as most replies have indicated).

I think 2 Med Bde is an old way of thinking but it still exists.

Alright I'm fishing for info

8. 5th Division Units
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

43 (Wessex) Brigade 143 (West Midlands) Brigade 160 (Wales) Brigade

Royal Wessex Yeomanry The Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry 104th Regiment Royal Artillery (Volunteers)
    The Rifle Volunteers The West Midlands Regiment Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia)
    Bristol University Officer Training Corps 35th (South Midlands) Siganl Regiment (Volunteers) The Royal Welsh Regiment
    Exeter University Officer Training Corps Birmingham University Officer Training Corps 157 (Wales and West Midlands) Logistic Support Regiment Royal Logistic Corps (Volunteers)
    101 Battalion Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (Volunteers)
    Wales University Officer Training Corps

9. OTC
    deployable?

I'm curious, tell me more

10. OTC aren't deployable... don't get excited.

11. Same old scenario!! When they cant / wont / could not deploy due to work / family / biff / war dodger status!

Up to Company / Squadron level yes, above that??? Not a sniff unless the Taliban shock army is cruising the M25 in Toyota pick ups!

12. LOL! I did actually LOL!!!

13. Dodgy, you are correct. :donut:

14. Thats another Ice cream to me!!!!! :numberone:

15. I actually think your wrong, although I would have agreed with you last week. Units from 2 Med Bde are supporting Ops in Stan for quite a long period, it also appears that this is being done very carefully. Mobilisations are quite short - 3 months, far better for employees and their employers (NHS).

From what I've read over the last week this formation is quite well run and possibly the elite of the TA. Can I have a job?