What is the better option?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Kong, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm about to start the process of deciding what i want to join.But i really cant decide if i should stay and try paras or try my luck with the foreign legion in france.

So this where i hope maybe there might be someone around here thats done both or has worked in or along with them.I've been to the careers office for both wasnt really too impressed at the standards and just the general feel i picked up was half assed.But i cant really say much better on the legion either in lille as they were just wanting me to sign up,but i'd rather make the right decision form myself :?

2. Good idea, go to France!

3. An ex 2eme REP guy told me a couple of years ago that the difference between FFL paras and British is that 'many FFL ones were good enough to get into British Parachute Regiment, but all British Paras were good enough to get into 2eme REP'.

But if you want to learn (awful) French and have the option to change your nationality, crack on.

4. You need to speak to the 13th man he's ex FFL

5. i would go paras mate, but thats only what i would do.

6. Why would you want to represent and fight for France?

Call me old fashioned but I am too patriotic to sacrifice myself for another country.

I am British and fight for the Union Jack.

7. So then it is only you that can make the decision, research both roles as much as you can then make a confident and informed decision. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

8. Thanks for the all the feedback, i have done alot of research in whatever i was able to get my hands on, but i would of liked to of heard from people that have been there and lived it.

As to why i would you want to represent and fight for France question, honestly i do not see it as any different with me representing England in my eyes

Still no closer to deciding 100% but am leaning towards the FFL.But I will most likely head down again to the careers office & maybe get some more feedback here before anything is decided

9. I don't know anything about FFL, but how about comparing the benefits to help your decision. Pension, health care, accomodation, travel, sport, etc etc.

10. Watches as Kong casts his rod and starts to catch bites already.

Please go into the NAAFI and play, nice first two posts.

11. Just thought i would let everyone know after more research i decided I'm going to try the FFL route as it seems to be more to what I'm after in a complete lifestyle change. So now i just need to see how things progress in Aubagne.