What is the best job in the Army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chiefwiggum, Jul 24, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In terms of career progression, travel and other considerations, what is the generally agreed 'best ' job in the British Army?

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Surely SAS Tpr? Or DSF.

3. The Grand Pooh-Bah of any Masonic Lodge. Particularly if they outrank thier CO. :lol:

4. Anything in the Guards, all that marching, nice shiney boots and a really flash hat to top it all off.

5. Officers Wife:
    All that seniority, and none of the work.
    All that "you should call me marm". (Do you know who my husband is? ;) )
    And all the ironing he doesn't want you to do, "in case you put tram lines in his combats"........ oh the horror!

Ok, no career of your own, and pride is a sin, and you have no money to buy the kids an ice lolly, but hey....... it's serving Queen and Country, inadvertently. And for those of us who failed RCB, it's the only way to stay in touch.

:)

Edit - for reason: I don't ACTUALLY want you to tell me who my husband is. I have a fair idea. Thanks.

6. I'd say the best job in the army has got to be that of a civi, you do f*ck-all all day, just sitting on your arrse and still getting paid for it. :evil:

Then again, that sums up most off the squadie jobs as well!

7. "in case you put tram lines in his combats"

Never seen that as a problem!

I would have to say a Pte soldier. He has the highest potential of career progression, no responsibilities, fair enough of a wage and he gets to travel.

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Methinks you've never been a private soldier.....

"HAPPY! Carry that SF tripod over Wales"
    "HAPPY! You fckin nugget, where's your MODACs?"
    "HAPPY! Xmas is cancelled, you're on stag"
    "HAPPY! See that grass, see this paint..."

9. Best job in the British Army (as in any job) has to be the bosses -

If you have ever heard these phrases take one pace forward

"Your Majesty! Carry that SF tripod over Wales"
    "Your Majesty! You fckin nugget, where's your MODACs?"
    "Your Majesty! Xmas is cancelled, you're on stag"
    "Your Majesty! See that grass, see this paint..."

On the plus side Travel is good, fair enough wage

And on the negative, responsibilities huge being Head of the Commonwealth and Defender of the Faith and the potential for career progression is a little limited. Where do you go when you hold every rank and just about every gong on offer?

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Re-establishment of the empire or at the very least expansion of the commonwealth might be where I'd start. For example, Iraq, they're crying out for a leader and it's not as if HRH needs the oil money right?? Not like the dirty Belgian Euro-trash and the Congo....