What is the best and Worst WW1 movie?

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
As its 2014 I intend to read and watch more documenteries and films on the subject of WW1.

So is there a film you can recommend or one to avoid like the plague. Your views on it, pros and cons.

NEQcounter

War Hero
I always liked 'The Blue Max' because it was full of derring-do and Flasheart types. I'm not sure how historically correct it was though.

I suppose it depends on theater, or service.

War in the air, or at sea? trenches, or the desert?

I am Partial to Paths of Glory even though it isnt technically accurate with weapons

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
I've just watched The Trench (1999).

And I've just wiped off my thought on it by accident!

So I'll cut to the chase.
Cons:
The Trench seemed very HUGE and clean.
Interaction of troops seemed wrong for those who have served together.
Sgt did all the gripping of pl, no Cpl on show.
They all looked clean and kit good order.
2 jock's, 2 paddy's, Scouse Sgt didn't seem to represent the Royal Fusiliers (City of London) demographic base of one of its platoons.
Daniel Craigs, murdering of the scouse accent. It was crap! And in different scenes seemed to forget he was a scouse.(In the RF's?).
Danny Dyer.
Lush green fields on the Somme battlefield ?
Fat jock pvte. (Never seen any photos of fat WW1 soldier, apart from generals). He also got the bird.
L/Cpl was a sniveling little wretch.
Obviously one man shoots himself and is carted off for cowardice, by some MP's after they'd finished sitting outside the local shops chatting up schoolgirl's and sucking icecreams.
The MP's weren't made to go over the top too.
No MP's were killed.
MP's were in a front line trench!

Pros
L/Cpl sniveling wretch, was played (as opposed to acted) by hard man 'Fanny (absolutely) Dier'. Great casting.
The L/Cpl gets slotted at the end. Played by Fanny.
Football's were kicked by the RF's and other regiments across no mans land on the 1st day of the Somme.
No RAF.
Represented an English Regiment.
Mel Fibson wasn't in it.

Verdict could have done so much more with the Title brief.
Didnt need to do the open battle scene at end and spent the money on the main set.
Black Adders final scene was far more thought provoking.
In fact Black Adder goes forth was far better in getting the futility of Trench warfare across.

Hexi Block

Old-Salt

Ive not seen this. Was going to buy it until I saw it was about Australian troops detonating a mine to help the brits advance.

Why not an English tunneling company ( I think they were clay kickers employed on the london underground? ) or would that be too racist. They've already got Anzac day.

I will watch though if you think its worthwhile.

Hexi Block

Old-Salt

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
I suppose it depends on theater, or service.

War in the air, or at sea? trenches, or the desert?

I am Partial to Paths of Glory even though it isnt technically accurate with weapons

I have to admit, I was thinking about the trenches. Your right it shouldn't matter. Is paths of glory the colour film about the RFC, with the father figure old guy who gets shot taking a reconnaissance photo. If so i thought a vickers was a vickers.

I have to admit, I was thinking about the trenches. Your right it shouldn't matter. Is paths of glory the colour film about the RFC, with the father figure old guy who gets shot taking a reconnaissance photo. If so i thought a vickers was a vickers.

No, its about a futile attack ordered by the French high command to a regiment commanded by Kirk Douglas. When the attack fails, as was predicted, the high command decide to execute three men for cowardice on the basis of "pour encourager les autres". A Stanley Kubrick film that is well worth watching.

Last edited:

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer

That's Aces high.
Was on ITV 4 Friday.

fu2

LE
Saw some film about australian cav doing a charge on a turk/german town. Can`t remember the name.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Gallipoli
Sort of hovers between the two.

I recently saw on TV here a 1930 German film called Westfront 1918 that wasnt so bad. Apparently banned after 33 in the Reich.

Also King and Country from 1964 Dirk Bogarde and Tom Courtenay

As to the Worst? has to be "Flyboys" a tragic waste of Jean Reno, ability

I like the Japanese noir genre film "Garripori", where an empire lead by poncy retarded fuckwits land in a supposedly third world nation, who read all about the invasion in detail in the papers weeks before!

Latest Threads