What is the ARRSERS definition of a Civvy?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by marco_poloroid, Feb 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was a squaddie, anything outside of HM Forces was a civvy, and was of course treated with contempt they so richly deserved. As a serving member of HM Constabulary, I now regard anyone outside of HM Forces and ,er, Police, Fire Brigade and Ambo as civvies.

Prison Officer? Civvy. St John? Civvy. Special? Difficult.....but ultimately not a civvy. Police Staff Worker? Civvy. TA.....? Answers on a postcard.

The flipside is, most if not all of the above, would never refer to themselves as a civvy. And we haven't even got to the 'wife/husband of' scenario yet. Civvies in my book. My wife is a recruitment consultant. As such, I delight in telling her to 'Zip it Civvy'. However, when my brother was in the army and I spoke to him, he delighted in referring to me as a 'stinking civvy'.

So, gentleman, the ARRSERS legal definition please. Helmet and kevlar stabby on and standing by... :wink:

2. Can I add another aspect?

Is being a civvie a state of mind also? (athough in that vein, a civvie with a military mind is a walt)

Hmmm.

3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Someone who is in the RAF!

4. Bugger ! Beaten to it.

5. To keep it simple I reckon a civvy is someone who has never served in the Forces. The Polizei et al are all civvies as well!

6. Does that make me one, as I have served in the green, but now serve in the blue. I'm confused... :wink:

7. Don't be silly of course not but you should take great delight in telling the rest of your blue brethren that they are!

According to my Collins Concise Dictionary their definition of a civilian is:

A person whose occupation is civil or non military.

8. What about the TA. (Lights fuse, slinks away fingers in ears)

9. A civvy is a simple machine that converts beer into piss!!

10. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

How is that different from the average soldier. :D Retry!

11. someone who has very limited use and capabilities.

12. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

A civvy is a simple automaton that serves beer to soldiers, for conversion into piss.

13. A slightly different angle.

If you have ever had to change into 'civvies' out of working clothes then you are by definition not a civvy.

14. Does this include prostitutes?

Anyway, you're not allowed to shoot enemy coppers, according to Mr MATTS, so they/original poster are civvies.

15. I find it interesting that coppers don't consider themselves to be civvies. After all, aren't they a part of the Civil Service? :roll:

They are THE kings of civvies imho. :wink: