• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

What is "sniper mentality"?

The ability to shoot the wings off a wasp at 2000m, Crawl Through shit to extract yourself, Shit in a Bag and carry it, Eat shit when you get hungry... If Im honest I dont know sorry :D

Excognito said:
Out of idle curiosity, what is a "sniper mentality"?

Er drink alot, drink some more.three bottles of red and Drink a whole bottle of borovička and then get up in the morning and go to the WO's and Sgts mess and get a pint of Strongbow. (barmaid, antonella was a bit cute) and then cook a Sunday roast. Now thats a sniper mentality, ( well its what my wee baby brother did last weekend) and he was wearing his sniper T-shirt.

Hope that helps.

Jerrycan2793 said:
The ability to shoot the wings off a wasp at 2000m, Crawl Through s*** to extract yourself, s*** in a Bag and carry it, Eat s*** when you get hungry... If Im honest I dont know sorry :D
Well apart from one thing, I could do that, but ...

"Sneaking around a bar and lifting drinks that don't belong to you whilst remaining undetected."
"Er drink alot, drink some more.three bottles of red and Drink a whole bottle of borovička and then get up in the morning and go to the WO's and Sgts mess and get a pint of Strongbow and then cook a Sunday roast. Now thats a sniper mentality"

Probably only after doing the other suggestions (so, it would pay to be wary of the roast :twisted: )

The one exception shooting the wings off a wasp at 2 klicks. Whilst I may possibly have possessed the technical skills to do that, I am a total coward by nature and would normally consider a B-52 bombardment for a threat of that magnitude.

Excognito said:
mistersoft said:
Saying you'll look after your mate's wife while he's on a course.

And then porking her.
So honesty is an important part of the mentality? after all, I'd have done just what I said I'd do ...
Yes honesty and/or the two slightly differing definitions of 'looking after'.

According to some chap in the local, sniper mentality is...

Holding a bag open for someone to shit into.
Studying nav to geek-levels.
Lying in a muddy puddle for days on end.
Ambushing the f*** out of people whilst outside the range of the longest ranged weapon they've got.
Having to make most of your own kit from ripped up sandbags and broken VHS Cassettes.

Rantallion said:
According to some chap in the local, sniper mentality is...
Studying nav to geek-levels. - I was the geek that other geeks aspired to (and one of the many reasons I would never have made an infantry 2nd Lt - a subltern who could read a map would undermine everything NCOs hold dear in an officer and send shock waves through the ranks)
Lying in a muddy puddle for days on end. - That I can do, esp after a good "session" :D
Ambushing the f*** out of people whilst outside the range of the longest ranged weapon they've got. - oh yes, definitely my preferred option. :twisted:
Having to make most of your own kit from ripped up sandbags and broken VHS Cassettes. - pretty normal for a systems engineer faced with things that don't work and no spares.

Holding a bag open for someone to s*** into. - Failed
:(

BiscuitsAB said:
Excognito said:

Er drink alot, drink some more.three bottles of red and Drink a whole bottle of borovička and then get up in the morning and go to the WO's and Sgts mess and get a pint of Strongbow. (barmaid, antonella was a bit cute) and then cook a Sunday roast. Now thats a sniper mentality, ( well its what my wee baby brother did last weekend) and he was wearing his sniper T-shirt.

Hope that helps.
I think I know him! Name begun with J by any chance or are they all like that?

EX_STAB said:
BiscuitsAB said:
Excognito said:

Hope that helps.
I think I know him! Name begun with J by any chance or are they all like that?
Nope his name begins with A, so I guess they are all alike :)

The coolest thing I ever saw a sniper do was in Denmark, he was old school and also pretty good at his job, he had a few confirmed kills to his name being in NP8901 and NI. He was also my first Corporal in a unit.

There we were dug in on some hillside piece of shite real estate in Denmark, typical number of ruperts wandering around with orange or white tape on their arms playing God when a 6 helo flight of bad guys came zooming in from the clouds to ruin our day. After the usual shouts of "Stand To" a voice piped up, "Stand down fellas, get the wets on, all sorted".

Who was I to argue, so we cracked out the old hexi stove and started to boil the water, well these umpires packed a real sad over this and stormed across to share their disappointment with us, the helos continued down the valley, landed and started to disgorge the troops. The Ruperts with arm bands had a real sense of humour failure, demanded to know who was responsible for our actions and what we were going to do about the imminent attack on our position from the heli borne assault troops who hadn't yet been told we weren't playing anymore.

Our Cpl, the sniper with probably more kills than years experience of the officer he was facing stood up, " I stood the lads down sir, pointless making them do shite that's unwarranted"

The Rupert replied along the lines of " who the fcuk are you" to which the answer was "I'm Cpl xxxxxx a sniper in the Royal Marines and I just shot every pilot that was flying a helicopter towards our position, they'd of crashed so where's the problem sir, do you want a wet?"

As our Cpl was stroking his No5 the Rupert got on the net and told the attacking force to re-embark, they'd failed.

Aunty Stella said:
Sneaking around a bar and lifting drinks that don't belong to you whilst remaining undetected.

Same mentality as "mine sweeping"
That's the opposite to "Mortar mentality" which involves crahing around a bar lifting drinks whist making sure you are detected.

Latest Threads