What is racism?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Core Strife, Mar 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been wondering this for a time now.

By the dictionary:
    RACISM - prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.

But in the light of events such as John Terry being labelled racist for calling a black man black, I'm really struggling to see how racism today relates to that definition.

Are we in a culture of different forms of racism - real racism, soft racism?
    Does anybody nowadays actually have a genuine belief that one is better because of one's skin colour?
    Is racism today merely a way of verbally abusing someone, with no real means?

This is the Int Cell, so try to keep it ... vaguely on topic please!
  2. Bamboozles me just as did feminism in the 1970s.
  3. Ask 5 Alpha.He used toothpaste as cam creme.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. My little brother (6) was recently involved in what his school called a "racial incident". Having been told by his friend to call the slightly older asian kid they were playing with a "chocolate poohead" and a "brown boy", he duly did so, as young kids are prone to. When told by his mum that he'd done something wrong, and asked if he understood that, he said "Yes. Poo is not a nice word.". The school said they were going to take it to the local authority before backing down.

So, by my reckoning, racism is something the happy-clappy brigade use to label anything that they deem offensive to other cultures, regardless of actual intent or meaning.
  5. Racist is a term for white people, if you are white you are racist by default
    • Like Like x 4
  6. This post is in the Int. Cell?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah, I agree with you there.

I mean when JT called that black guy black, how was he actually discriminating? He was surrounded by his own black teammates!
  8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Because that is where the thread started :)
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Racism?
    It's a rod we've made to beat ourselves with.
    I don't practice it myself knowingly, but most things you do now can be construed as,
    I take everyone at face value and like or dislike as required.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. That rings so ferkin true it hurts. Even the innocent are being harassed with this shape shifting pc bollocks. I would never be racist starting from the simple premise that it is impolite and then becoming more serious and principled beyond that. But there are certain types who will twist situations to suit there own agendas about racist effrontery which grips me!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Cause until you got here it was an intelligent argument. Don't worry, it will lose the plot soon.
  12. ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    You honestly think that??

13. possibly the add on "Bastard" may of had something to do with it (allegedly)
  14. Ask Smudge67, he knows, the dirty racist.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. This thread brought something I read recently to mind too. Great little piece.

• Like Like x 5