What is planned for Corps weekend this year?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Mountain_Boy, May 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whats happening around the houses? any units doing anything special?

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I am sure a hotly contested Corps Sports will follow a precsion Drumhead parade, then a slap up dinner at Mrs Miggins pie shop.

Quite sad we cannot attend a service to remember fallen comrades and past glories.

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The above would I am sure be because the fact we have no "Home of the Corps" Or atleast no where I would call home.

4. No doubt that due to the lack of a Corps home, some units will do their own thing and a couple of others in Aldershot will do the usual church thing followed by .............. nothing, unless youre spammed to stag on at the RAMC association lunch.

5. Are things that desperate these days...??

6. I've got a novel idea,

Why don't the MDHU's organise a scale A parade for everybody not on essential duties, followed by a church service and a curry lunch?

To add a twist, wouldn't it be great if the same 5 RAMC personnel who turned out for QA Corps day, met 30-40 QA's and families (coerced to make the numbers up) who turn up losing a day off knowing that they will not be able to attend the curry lunch in the Sgts mess as only dignitaries and invited guests have been catered for?

Oh, hang that's been done before hasn't it?

Until such time as the RAMC contingent at MDHUs can be bothered to attend their own Corps Day in numbers that reflect their presence, would it not be better for the few RAMC who are willing to celebrate Corps Day attended their local Med Regt Service?

I learnt many years ago at Keogh that the RAMC was not the parade square I stood on, nor the buildings surrounding me, but the ethos instilled in me there (as demonstrated admirably and regularly by Corps members on Ops and peacetime). Home is where the heart is. If absence of a "home" is touted as an excuse for poor turnout I fear you have lost your heart.

Lyse RAMC (Retd)

7. A Corps needs a home, its a symbol. When Keogh was our Corps and indeed the AMS home, we had the Drumhead parade there and units came from all over to attend, the messes and bars were open afterwards. We lost Keogh, we lost Drumhead and with it went a considerable amount of Corps ethos.

Saturday at the Aldershot military Stadium, Sunday at Drumhead.

In recent times we do, as Lyse has said have a church service followed by 'invite only' curry lunch, unless youre at the MDHU near to Aldershot where the whole unit (less senior officers who cant be arrsed) spend the Saturday doing team competitions (which are usually good if the weather is on your side and families are invited) the RAMC then spend all day (0900-1600) sunday sat in the Princes Hall waiting for the RAMC Association to arrive so they can show them to their tables and watch them eat. Great weekend.

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

A "home" would be nice to have; to have a Corps Day at. My lack of home no way reflects my lack of Corps Heart. Mine is bigger than most. I would just like to attend a Church Service or Curry Lunch or just a chat and a bag of chips round the back of a 18X24 in the sun, after some dodgy running at the Aldershot Stadium. The fact you cant, reflects the position of the Corps.

9. I think Ventys Corps heart is reflected in the fact that he attends the AMS Past & Presnt Dinner every year.

10. Paraphrased from AMS Blue Book:
    RAMC Corps Day Sunday Church Service: 22 June 08 at Royal Garrison Church of All Saints, Aldershot. 1100 hrs (seated at 1045 hrs). Dress - Serving personnel - Number 2's / Service Dress. Followed by March past of Old Comrades and serving personnel. Serving and retired personnel of all ranks RADC, RAVC and QARANC are cordially invited.

Service is followed by RAMC Association luncheon at the Princes Hall Aldershot.

Let's all (AMS wide) make an effort and pack the place out for this one!

11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

In the vain hope you might buy a drink....................... :wink:

12. Pretty much none of the RAMC other ranks from MDHU FP will be at the church, they will as they have for the previous years be waiting in the Princes Hall from early o'clock until mid to late afternoon.

13. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Interesting point to note is that when Keogh went tri-service, part of the deal was that the RAMC could continue to use the barracks for Corps day and the Drumhead parade. If you want to blame anyone for the demise of those two key events, blame the then Corps RSM and Regt'l Colonel who couldn't be hooped to organise them. :roll:

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The rocky road we started limping down 10 years ago and now we cant go back!

15. Venty, you sound soulful, melancholy and rather deep there