Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is, or is not, current affairs? Moderation?

I think that chopping the BLM thread was a wise move, they have some very IT and Media savvy folk amongst them, looking out for anything negative said about the group
they would use it as a weapon to extend their actions, perhaps ignoring them and they will follow the Shaker religion and simply fade away

The Chinese authorities look out for anything negative said against them, but the Chinese thread hasn't gone away

Perhaps the thread having been moved to 'Site Issues' has helped clear up the point.
Indeed, the point has been made, accepted, and, unfortunately a growing issue in society as a whole.

It is not acceptable to refer to every single person with non-white skin as "vile scum", "filth", "untermensch" or to insist that they are all "sent back to the third world shithole that they came from".
That is indeed unacceptable... and, If you can find any such reference or example of this in any post of mine, or in the original post that initiated this particular discussion, I will accept your inference that I have posted in such a manner. Until then you have simply confirmed that certain topics are censored.

As far as the ball is concerned, it has been confiscated, and no longer in play. I now accept that this is the case... and understand that any subject where this could be an issue is off limits.

Let's not give them the bullets to fire at us eh.
OK, will do, and, accept that the pressure is there...and working.

The problem with organisations like the blm, is that they evolve, mutate, and constantly adapt to ensure they are in the mainstream press, they receive substantial financial backing from many sources, all of them having different interests at heart, eventually they will evolve into different cells, but all paying homage to the mother organisation
Lots of stupid, violent, and idealistic young people will find their niche in that structure, but will not realise how they are being used, and how easily they will be sacrificed, Oxford has some very clever, idealistic young people, with access to knowledge, an I.T. Base and a ready audience of bored young people
The danger is in them deciding to become a quasi military organisation and getting supporters to rally to the cause...

A good post, well put, summing up the point made.

In conclusion no further discussion on this matter from me.

Which is why the Moderators jump all over anything that can be viewed as racist, homophobic etc etc.. Arrse is a British Army website populated by British Soldiers in the eyes of the media.
Just because a few are retired, ex TA, cadets, the media look and think "Its Green, its got a gun, it's a Tank" therefore it's the Army.

I think you're being over generous in your generalisation of the main thread contributors.

I think you're being over generous in your generalisation of the main thread contributors.
Oh I know... But it's an Army site, so therefore in the eyes of certain elements of the media its green therefore its a tank, massively wide brush is used to tar everybody.

I'm just Ex TA, but there's members who range from the ACF to FFL to SF and everywhere in between. We are all the same to some Wankspangling knobpuffins in the msm

Troy

LE
[snip]

As to why the BLM thread was taken down.

It was riddled with racist abuse.

Firstly, to answer your question regarding the site being representative of our society, I do not believe that to be the case. This site is heavily military leaning, and anonomous, our society is not.

[/snip]

Anonomous (sic) nay not anonymous. It has been established with academic authority by such accredited bodies as Sussex Research Online which is a digital repository of the research output of Sussex University. That members of Forums such as Arrse are in fact, pseudonymous.

The rationale and explanation of this term was provided in the published academic article by Sarah Maltby, Helen Thornham and Daniel Bennett, titled:

‘BEYOND’ PSEUYDONMITY: THE SOCIO-TECHNICAL STRUCTURE OF ONLINE MILITARY FORUMS
You may view and download a copy of this here: http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/id/eprint/59830/1/Accepted Version.pdf

I recall there was a lengthy thread concerning this matter.

NSP

LE
The Chinese authorities look out for anything negative said against them, but the Chinese thread hasn't gone away
The Chinese government hasn't as yet rampaged through cities burning, looting and (in the US) shooting at the slightest perceived slur, however. It is also not illegal to criticise the actions of the Chinese government whereas it is to bandy racist, sexist, ageist, etc. abuse about the place.

They may, or may not, just quietly release a highly-contagious, virulent and lethal bug into the world instead.

Last edited:
BLM doesn't dictate what can or cannot be said on this site and is a perfectly sensible topic for discussion.

Unfortunately, there is a small but voluble proportion of site users who are racist, and unable to conduct any sort of conversation involving matters of race without reverting to type. It is not acceptable to refer to every single person with non-white skin as "vile scum", "filth", "untermensch" or to insist that they are all "sent back to the third world shithole that they came from". You are free to think what you want, but if you want to use the site you must follow site rules. If you want absolute freedom to post whatever you want in whatever words you choose, set up your own site with your names associated with it.

Site users reap what they sow. Keep your racist beliefs to yourself and the threads tick on and the users keep posting. Post your racist beliefs in a way which would clearly cause trouble for the site and site owners if taken and shared in the wider media and the threads get closed down and posters ROPd.

Ball is in your (collective) court.

And someone's just fumbled the serve.

Dreaming could (and has) kill | Army Rumour Service (arrse.co.uk)

Being an ARRSE moderator is the kind of job where it is impossible to keep everyone happy all the time. All I'd say is please give them your support as they try to do the best that they can!
I always give reach round to mods if that helps ;)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think that chopping the BLM thread was a wise move, they have some very IT and Media savvy folk amongst them, looking out for anything negative said about the group
they would use it as a weapon to extend their actions, perhaps ignoring them and they will follow the Shaker religion and simply fade away
As long as the negativity is said in a polite way and doesn't contain any racist terms, it shouldn't be a problem.

Being an ARRSE moderator is the kind of job where it is impossible to keep everyone happy all the time. All I'd say is please give them your support as they try to do the best that they can!
Any chance of hoofing this to arrsehole? :D

Bad CO

Admin
Any chance of hoofing this to arrsehole? :D
Feel free to start your own in there ...... obviously slating the moderators is a long and noble ARRSE tradition!

Bad CO

Admin
Just as a heads up, in the last few weeks we've had contact from a police force about allegedly racist content that was posted in 2007/8!

Just as a heads up, in the last few weeks we've had contact from a police force about allegedly racist content that was posted in 2007/8!
Hmmmm... Statute of limitations perhaps.
One of the law oriented members maybe shed some light.

(just checked.. Didn't join until 2014)

And we certainly don't want the wrath of St Lewis of Hamilton to come down on us

Latest Threads