What is Leadership

That’s the bit that colours my thinking too.

If we presume that he acted rationally, the most extreme interpretation of his actions is that he made a conscious, rational decision to head to NSY to take command. In doing he had the moral courage to accept the inevitable outrage and derision resulting from that action. I no more think he has time to make that kind of decision than had to decide to itnerovene.

I think he was a passenger who allowed events to overtake him. To some extent, I am sympathetic; he’d just come out of a grilling from MPs which would have required considerable emotional energy. He was situationally unaware and had seconds to react.

If he was a credible strategic leader, he’d have had some collateral. If he’dealt with his decision in a timely, open and honest manner he could have saved slme
Face. If he was / had done both, he’d probably get some sympathy.

He’s not a strategic leader; he’s an over promoted manager. He failed to manage the immediate consequences of his actions.

The worst thing perhaps is that he is serving until retirement, eking out a zombie existence where no one trusts him and he can’t contribute strategically to the future ; he’s irrelevant, a distraction who is consuming the credibility of his board colleagues. .
This makes sense. If instead of saying "I had to leave to secure evidence" he'd said:

"As I was leaving the HoC it all unfolded before me. However, before I could react personally I was heartened by the rapid reaction of xxxx who put a stop to the incident. Unfortunately in those few brief seconds we lost one of our own. I have now instructed my team to conduct a wide ranging 'lessons learned' review to understand what we can do better in the future"....

How much better that would have sounded.

22 seconds from reaching the gate to lying down shot, 22 seconds.

https://westminsterbridgeinquests.i...ploads/2018/09/WI-Day-1-10-September-2018.pdf

Page 134 Sworn evidence of DS John Crossley
22 seconds is a long time, particularly during a serious incident like an accident, attack, etc. I have been at the scene of an RTA where a boy was knocked down in seconds 1 to 4 and was receiving assistance from those nearby by second 6. Try running towards a place for 22 seconds and see how far you get. Mackey had time to act.

22 seconds is a long time, particularly during a serious incident like an accident, attack, etc. I have been at the scene of an RTA where a boy was knocked down in seconds 1 to 4 and was receiving assistance from those nearby by second 6. Try running towards a place for 22 seconds and see how far you get. Mackey had time to act.
And he did, in the same manner as all the other uniformed officers that close. Anyway he was probably down to less that 15 seconds by the time the assault took place.

22 seconds is a long time, (snipped)
Mackey had time to act.
Mackey had time to act, his driver had time to act and his BG had time to act.
Forget his former occupation now that he has done society a favour and fcuked off.
He watched a fellow human being butchered, murdered and fighting desperately for those precious final few seconds of life.
And he wore a uniform so that should mean something, but not to him obviously.
"Preservation of life and property" only means his life, not some mumbo-jumbo from circa 1829 then?

Much has been said on this site about Mackey's ability and competence as a senior strategic leader, almost as an excuse for his lack of basic police attributes. Perhaps it is time for the Government to review the qualities required for senior officers, If a future "leader" has chosen a career path that avoids any hands on policing or operational duties but is a wizard with a spreadsheet, these abilities should be recognised and yes they should be promoted where these abilities will be of use to the organisation but they must be precluded from any operational command and decision making in the future and to facilitate this they should be extracted from all aspects of operational policing including the wearing of a police uniform.

As Mackey clearly demonstrated he is not a police officer, so he should not be mistaken for one, accordingly he should not be entitled to wear the same uniform as those many brave men and women who do the job and protect the Queen's peace.

How much better that would have sounded.
It's not how things sound, it's how they look. That's generally where managerial types come unstuck.

As the brothers would tell you, it's a talk the talk, walk the walk thing.

The facts are that Sir Craig locked the car doors while the attack was underway. He left the scene afterwards. Those are the facts.

We are discussing why he did that and whether he could have acted differently.

Para one is about facts.
Para two is about opinions.