What is Junior Brecon?

What is junior brecon. I keep hearing it mentioned but have no idea what it is. Who runs the course, what is it for and what does it qualify you to do in the TA?

Use the search function top right or ask your staff at the TAC. It's been rolled into one with the Seniors and Platoon Commanders I think.

I tried the search function and it gave me nothing about it. Although I am new here, so could be confused. Have asked some staff at my TAC but they don't seem to know much. They only talk about PNCO, JCLM and SCLM.

The_Duke

LE
I tried the search function and it gave me nothing about it. Although I am new here, so could be confused. Have asked some staff at my TAC but they don't seem to know much. They only talk about PNCO, JCLM and SCLM.
Perhaps because your unit is not Infantry? Junior Brecon is the infantry section commanders course, run at the School of Infantry, Brecon.

Other arms and services do not routinely attend the course (caveats apply, some exceptions etc).

What is junior brecon. I keep hearing it mentioned but have no idea what it is. Who runs the course, what is it for and what does it qualify you to do in the TA?
See here for a brief overview which is a little bit dated now: SCBC (TA) - ARRSEpedia

It qualifies you as a Section Commander and is basically the course that gets you promoted to Cpl in the Infantry with the exception of certain support weapons platoons and even they prefer guys with Brecon quals. It is a physically and mentally tough course, but by no means requires superman levels of fitness. The ICFT can get emotional and so can "Druid Dance" which is a squadded tab over the Pen-y-Fan.

The Serjeants course is called PSBC or Seniors and the Officers version is Platoon Commanders Battle Course. The TA version is essentially the tactics phase with the JNCOs on Juniors, the SNCOs on Seniors and the Officers on Platoon Commanders course all rolled into one exercise cadre with the different cadres breaking off to do their own lessons at different times. They used to allow a 2 other arms blokes on with each course, but that seems to have dropped off.

Very much doubt that it would count as qualification for anything in the Corps guys so there is probably no point loading them on it apart from helping them conduct their own Mil training. But even then Infantry Battle School now run a week course (BCCS?) for POGs to teach mil skills in their units and besides Junior Brecon would be a bit overkill for that anyway.

Edit to add - I just seen your other post and the replies. Yeah the qual stays on your file and you can even wear this little beauty!
!BVm(1Rg!2k~$(KGrHgoOKioEjlLme88sBKTRpY39uQ~~_35.JPG

If your new unit will allow it! (Never seen it actually worn or even issued in the Inf to be honest).

EEH bah gum when I was an apprentice ,junior brecon used to be called Outward bound nco cadre

It is not Senior Brecon!......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
the_creature Army Reserve 30
J Juniors 6
Bravo_Bravo Army Reserve 14