What is it with kids these days?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Auld-Yin, Dec 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It is 10:20 on Crimbo morning, cold but a lovely bright winter morn. Yet not a kid in sight playing in the street showing off their pressies.

When I was a nipper (which was after santa was born before you lot start) we could not wait to get out and show off our pressies. Same with my own kids in their day. Is Christmas such a pain in the arrse now that kids don't bother?

Just to illustrate my point I will relate a wee tale from my own days. I was about 9 or 10 and cowboys and indians was the rage for us kids (don't know how many Indians I have killed but there can't be many left). My folks bought my brother a cowboy suit and me an indian suit, complete with bow and arrow. We got dressed up and out to play as soon as it was light. The trouble was, all the other kids in the street had been given cowboy suits - I think you can see where this is going. I spent a good part of that morning tied to a lamppost with the local posse doing their best to light a fire!!!! Not one of my happier Crimbos but it illustrates the point that we got out of the house to play.

Kids just don't know how to enjoy themselves.

A-Y

2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

You forget, all the presents nowadays are designed to keep children indoors and entertained in a room seperate from the parents.

No - bikes, skateboards, rollerskates, slingshots or similar.

Yes - games console, games console and games consoles.

S_R

p.s. Bah Humbug

3. my youngest had a push-bike & has been out on it already.

4. My little one is desperate to go out on her new bike, but its pissing down, so we are already on the 3rd run through of Barbie Island Princess.

Ah 1130, time for a beer...

5. no rain in cardiff but mine are playing on their d.s,ipods,wii!!!!so no change there then.i can,t remember being in all year when i was a kid.must be a generational thing! :roll:

6. Bright winter morn, you lucky sod, its been pishing down since the early hours.

7. You were a popular lad in those days then Auld. :wink:

Been P*ssing it down here in Colly, been cold and wet most the day, played board games with the kids this morning. No playstations, X-Boxes or DVD's were allowed on till after lunch.

8. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

we got icy rain ... otherwise my little monster would have been outside most of the time for sure :lol:

9. My father in law made the same observation of no kids out playing when I picked up for dinner. Not a one in sight any where must be the play station generation.

10. i think so mate. :cry:

11. Or have we scared our kids in to stopping in, in case they do any of the stuff we did?

OMG What have we done?

12. I took my lad out to play on his new bike, plenty of kids out then.
    Unfortunately within a minute of us being out we had to crash move to A+E. As hed knocked both front teeth out, thank feck he had a helmet on.

SK

13. But not a full face helmet!

14. msr

msr LE

15. Nope, it was not. I also neglected to wrap him fully in cotton wool along with his full body armour underneath.'

SK