What is it with African soldiers?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ToastedGiant, Jul 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having watched the news about the elections in Congo, can someone explain wtf is it with the soldiers from most (all?) African nations?

They alll seem to lie around chewing gum/tobacco/narcotic leaves, behind mirror shades, trailing their AK 47s like feckin fashion accessories!

Anyone worked with African troops before? Is this an ill informed stereotype, or sadly close to the truth? :?

2. Indeed....

there was a highly humourous thread hereabouts (sure some helpful soul will supply the link) with a variety of photo's of these chaps with their weapons slung in various manners, and the use of gangsta firing positions etc....

oh how we laughed.

3. Yep, I worked with some Congans years ago but, all we did was lie around chewing gum. Then at night they would all want to form a line, and hold on to each other from behind and dance around singing 'come on do the Conga' - pretty crap tour really.

4. Greetings all!
    I spent a year with the Nigerian Army Corps of Signals,where the "Jimmy" is painted wearing Y-fronts and although as African soldiers go the Signallers were a lot better than most what is depicted is the norm.

-------------------------------------------------------------

You mark my words,it'll all end in tears!!!!

5. Countrys fight war in the same style as their football teams do.

6. Are they of the same mold as Arab's ; ie happy to hide behind civvies when on the receiving end

7. You saying the British Army is sh1te, and I should emmigrate to Brazil?

8. linkTHE MULTIRACIAL UNIT-

SELOUS SCOUTS

The Selous Scouts, a multiracial unit formed in 1973 with the aim of conducting a clandestine war against ZANLA and ZIPRA, both inside and, later on, outside Rhodesia. The Selous Scouts operated as pseudo-terrorist groups, collecting intelligence on the enemy and then, at the right moment, destroying him. This was not a new idea, it having been used with some success by Special Branch against Communist guerrillas in the Malayan crisis and later in Kenya against Jomo Kenyatta’s Mau Mau. As the war in Rhodesia escalated, General Walls decided to form such a force and chose for its commander the somewhat unorthodox Lieutenant-Colonel Ron Reid Daly. Reid Daly, who had served with Walls during the Malayan campaign and was later regimental sergeant-major when Walls commanded the Rhodesian Light Infantry, was the driving force behind the Selous Scouts. Learning from the experiences of BSAP Special Branch, who had operated a small number of “pseudo—teams” on a limited basis, Reid Daly recruited his officers and NCOs from the Army, mostly from the RLI and the SAS. Captain Jeremy Strong, one of the first to be recruited, was a former British Army officer who had resigned and returned to Rhodesia after UDI. Most of the others were either soldiers from the Rhodesian African Rifles (RAR), or “tame terrs”, as ex-guerrillas recruited by the Security Forces were called. These ex-members of ZANLA and ZIPRA, together with the RAR and white Rhodesian soldiers, formed one of the most successful counterinsurgency units in the Rhodesian Army.

It is interesting to note that Reid Daly had never before commanded African troops, and that many of the whites came from all-white units such as the RLI or the SAS. Nevertheless this multiracial, multinational unit was responsible, either directly or indirectly, for over 60 per cent of all enemy killed within Rhodesia during the war, and won a total of 85 awards for bravery. They lost less than 40 of their own men.

The Selous Scouts had the toughest selection and training of any unit in the Rhodesian Security Forces, including the SAS. Operating in small groups, the men, mostly Africans, dressed in nondescript clothing such as that worn by ZANLA and ZIPRA and carried Soviet-made weapons. The Selous Scouts were undoubtedly the most feared and perhaps effective unit in southern Africa.

The book on the Selous Scouts written by their C.O is very good.

9. Thank you for that write up Hot20. I had been thinking how to say please do not include the RAR in with that lot, and although I do not know what they are like now, I would say the same of much of the Zimbabwe army from what I saw of them up until early 1998. They were good.

10. Sorry Hat20, I got your name wrong. I will buy you a sweet banana.

11. Caribbean troops are good for a laugh, not saying they are shiite at all, just have a very err "Caribbean" view on thing

"Quick we are being out flanked, get the heavy machine guns over pronto"

"jaa no worries mon, we gets to it" big beaming smile as the support section lopes of in the general direction of the enemy

12. I have experience with (alongside) a few African armies. The stereotype is often true but not always. I have met some who would, IMHO, do well in the British Army.

I have found the Rwandans to be (generally) a disciplined lot and they gave the much vaunted Zimbabweans a right snotting at Pweto in the Congo.