What is it like in the signals?

I'm potentially applying and I'm curious to know what the royal corps of signals is like, what are prospects like after army, can it become mundane after a while and what is life generally like in the siggies?

Shit. The only thing worse would be the engineers..

It's like being in the army but you get to play with radios

It's like being in the infantry, only your bergan is heavier.

We don't need signals anymore, we have mobile phones now.

... you are in a queue, your call is important to us .......

Or

... you cannot make calls from this phone, please phone this number to speak to customer services about your bill...

Let me think, a brass that want you to:

1) Be fitter than the rest of the army.
2) Tab further than the rest of the army.
3) Shoot better than the rest of the army.
4) Have cleaner Land Rovers than the rest of the army.
5) Paint kerbstones in corps colours.

Generally:

1) Have a Phase 2 ran by sociopaths, possibly getting on to full psychosis.
2) Despite having more females than the rest of the army put together, 90% of them are lesbian (not a problem, but you're fücked if you fancy a leg over).
3) Work on old kit that has no use in the real world.
4) Seniors who believe that ranting and fücking people about is a function of management.
5) Officers who do not understand the equipment or the men they "lead".
6) Career fouls twice in three years. With no grown up support to chase it up.

On the plus side.

1) We have our own SAS squadron................
2) If you're good at football or rugby, the world is your oyster. (Just out of interest, which is the corps rugby unit now that 7 Sigs has gone?)
3) If you can find some "normals", you'll have mates for life.

The best time I had in the corps was serving away from a signals unit, then you see how good the army is in "grown-up" units. About all I'm grateful to the army for was my security clearance. If I had my time again, I'd have gone RE, RMP or one of the gucci trades in the RLC.

Last edited:
You will be very good with a paintbrush, as most of your time is spent painting trucks.

You can do promotional cadre courses, where at the end of it, nobody is actually promoted.

You can go to the stores to pick up kit you need, but the storeman says "We haven't got any." That's if it is actually open.

Tuffty

War Hero
Having spoken to a number of serving signals lads/lasses I don't think there will be a Corp left at the rate they are signing off. I doubt its anything to do with the Pay, Food, Accommodation (married and single), length of tours, pensions and promotion prospects though. Even the Ruperts are signing off as they have had enough which just goes to show it must be bad.

Goldy69

Old-Salt
Having spoken to a number of serving signals lads/lasses I don't think there will be a Corp left at the rate they are signing off. I doubt its anything to do with the Pay, Food, Accommodation (married and single), length of tours, pensions and promotion prospects though. Even the Ruperts are signing off as they have had enough which just goes to show it must be bad.

So a bad idea to consider the signals at the moment?

The corps is crap at self-publicity. Look at the RA, somehow they've moved onto UAVs (no reason why signals couldn't have done that, all it is, is tactical comms and intelligence), the RE are doing their own comms now (to a degree) - all any fücker knows about the signals is that we have The White Helmets and a good female corps hockey team.

go RAF mate,get treated like a grown up,better blocks,food etc and if your that keen to wear green go TCW,and skills may well transfer to civvy street after.