What is it like in the Army Air Corps

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Sierra_Hotel, Mar 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey All,
    Looking at an officer career in the AAC in about 6 years, after going to university doing aeronautical engineering. If anyone could tell me anything about it it would be much appreciated.
  2. Seriously consider the RAF. You obviously want to fly judging by your choice of degree subject, and the RAF will let you fly for your whole career if you want to. You will have no dodgy, biased and unfair issues with flying pay dissparity between the services.
    If you commision into the AAC you are likely to be flying a desk after a few years, and don't believe all you hear from the recruiters about things changing for officers in the future.
    Should you be unsucessful at flying training with the AAC then i'm affraid thats
    you finished. The RAF may allow you to go down the multi engine route.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and enjoy the flying.
  3. fly = RAF

desk and MINIMAL command (mainly desk) = Army.

Hate being disloyal but WAKE UP MCM you CNUTS.

Wish I had done aerospace though - always liked that subject.
  4. Shite - that's why I left at the earliest opportunity.

In the main the ones who stay in are the last man standing after the good lads have left.

No proper continuation of all the training you recieve, little command, too much pointless paperwork, too overstretched, too little equipment.... You get the point I presume.

But don't listen to us, it's only the whingers and malingerers that populate the internet forums....

Or the most vocal, depending on your perspective.
  5. You want to fly? Join the Navy or the RAF fella, for reasons as highlighted above.
  6. With the rate people will be signing off soon, you'll make Brigadier in about 3 years flat.
  7. And then he can make all sorts of bone decisions, now wouldn't that be a novel idea, or answer B! :x
  8. But is it an easy way to get a helicopter license? 1 year at sandhurst, 6 in service, Captain hopefully in that time, leave ASAP?
  9. Not even then lofty.

You'll do 2 - 4 years in the cockpit if you're lucky.

Given the low flying rates due to secondary duties/ unservicabilities/ going uncurrent due to courses/ hours restrictions you'll be very lucky to get 1000 hours.

If you do hit that mark, your next conversation with your Adj will basically consist of him telling you you've had your stint up front, it's now time to get down to the meat of why you're employed as an officer. ie. Management, planning and co-ordination (I know, I know....)

To be fair the Corps doesn't hide that you are employed as an officer as your primary duty and an aviatior second. They just refuse to accept it's a bone system that costs them a lot of people.

Your call at the end of the day, depends where your focus lies. Bear in mind (and it is a trivial point after the fact) that the army pilots course can be half as long as anyone else's, mainly due to no fast jet streaming. Plus you do have options after serving four years from wings.

They may change things for Apache crews, if I was being cynical, I would say they'll cut back airframes rather than extend flying time for officers. I could well be wrong, but no-one currently knows, so don't listen too hard to any rumours or anything they'll tell you at the recruitment door.
  10. What about combat? Is more combat time given to NCO's than officers? or is it officers act as pilots NCO's as gunners (ie apache crew, not lynx door gunner)?
  11. Re combat time if you go AH you'll get loads in your flying career as an Officer. If you get Lynx, you'll go on ops few times but it all depends on what you mean by "combat".

Do you mean swooping in at 5ft with your 9mm out the window shooting Johnny Turban or are you happy to just be in a theatre of operations? In an ops room?

If you just want to fly then just go RAF. The Army is not an easy option (which is why the RAF exist). If your focus is flying and geting free hours then the AAC is not the place to do it.

You'll be a better person for joining the Army (or Royal Marines) though. I would have gone to Lympstone if i had my time over. Then be a Royal Marines pilot.

It is all a gamble though - you have no guarantee of getting onto the course let alone passing, whereas in the RAF you at least know you are going AS aircrew. Or Navy.

The Royal Navy are good lads and they aren't crabs. If you go Jungly then you'll do all the Ops as well as some cool ship related stuff. Helps if you are gay though. :D
  12. What is daily life like in the AAC, bearing in mind I am looking to join at age 17.
  13. S_H - dare I suggest you're joining for the wrong reasons? Join up, bit of occifer training, bit of flying & zipping about, then leave as a chopper pilot? You'd need a bit more motivation and sounder reasons than 'you'll give me a license' fella.
    I'm only speaking as Light Blue here of course - the Army chaps would probably take exception to that approach as well tho.
  14. Sorry, may have sounded a bit like that.
    Becoming an officer is something I have wanted to become for a long time, as is flying helicopters, so i view the Air Corps as being the best way to achieve both. With more than just flying the AAC can offer me what I want, and will leave me with great experiences when I leave.

Also what are promotion prospects for graduate officer in the AAC?
  15. I know I wear light blue and I used to wear khaki, but if you want rotary-wing, I'd suggest Navy is the route. :wink:

Even today, though they never admit it, the RAF look at you like you're from Mars if you don't want to fly sharp, pointy things that go at Mach 2. Thus, every rotorhead and trash-hauler in my outfit is a failed fast-jet pilot. :twisted: