What is it, and are we going to get it too?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PartTimePongo, Sep 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. PTP - we already have them in service. We just don't have that many to go round! :D

I believe the initial order satisfied a UOR for Bosnia and Kosovo.

I'm happy to be corrected on that point of detail, but I know we've got them.

2. It's called a Mamba MPV. UK EOD Troop had them in Bosnia and very sexy they are too :)

3. Will they stand an RPG?

4. Ugly feckers aren't they?. Send them to the Kings Regt wher the Mancs and Scousers can pimp those rides. Modifications such as fluffy dice, 24 inch chrome rims, flames down the side, Max Power stickers and a nice 'whale tail' spoiler will help their looks immeasurably.

5. The USMC have them as well where I am. I've never seen it move from its current position in 2 1/2 months. I'm going to rob it.....

6. I think the Canadians have them in Afghanistan.

7. These look like a ALVIS/GMC vehicle upgrade of the MAMBA which was used by 33 Engr Regt (EOD) in the Balkans for 8 years. The British new mine protected vehicle is the Tempest MPVs which were deployed on TELIC 1 with 33 Engr Regt (EOD) to conduct route proving. As the mine threat was not as bad as we first feared they were returned during TELIC 2. I am currently looking at getting them on the FET for the A place next year.

They are 7.62 AP protected so will not take a RPG but will take a anti-tank mine below a wheel station

8. Arn't they a South African design produced by Alvis under license? I hauled a few in Bos and Kosovo.

9. Speedy,

You are bang on. Based on the v-shaped hull designed by SA following their experience of mines in Angola.

10. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

They are produced in the USA from a Peterbilt tractor unit and heavily armoured.

The US spec vehicle is called Cougar and is very different from the UK ones (Tempest) which were originally outfitted as ambulances. there are, I believe, 8 vehicles in the UK inventory.

The design spec if for a vehicle that specifically clears mines.

http://www.forceprotection.net/models/cougar/

11. I seem to remember something similar being used by MND(SE) to transfer cash around the civvy banks during Telic 2.