What is going on with our prisons?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by 5_mile_sniper, Jan 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was browsing the Scotland section of the BBC website to day and I came across these two stories;

Scumbag 1

Scumbag 2

Two dangerous criminals, both serving lengthy prison sentences for violent assault/attempted murder. One is kept in a open prison and runs away when allowed out to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, the other is given a temporary release and then, surprise, surprise, doesn't return.

Oh yes, and there's the added bonus that one of them raped a 16 year old girl whilst on the run.

Open prison! Temporary release! Please someone explain to me WTF the so called justice system in this country is playing at? No wonder people have absolutely no faith that they are being protected by this system.

I despair, I really do. :x

2. 'What is going on with our prisons?'

Brilliant question that this repellent government would never dare address to: General The Lord Ramsbotham - formerly HM's Chief Inspecotr of Prisons.

Why? Because he would shred, blow away, destroy and humiliate this awful government's prison policy.

3. Surely it must be possible to arrange for AA meetings to be held IN prison for prisoners that require them.

In the case of the other guy, why would you temporarily release a prisoner who is serving a 7 year sentence for "assault to actual injury"? What, they just thought that he was going to hand himself back in afterwards? Note that it has also taken 3 f'ing months to even issue a warrant for his arrest.

4. Why is a guy who was in prison for 5 years going on an Alcoholics Anonymous course, unless they've got a pub inside the prison these days?

Can't believe that a guy like that gets to have the chance of escaping though, what are the prison officers and prison psycologists upto, its not as if a man like this doesn't show hes not right and should have been kept rotting away in a maximum security like Bar-L.

The other guy just appears to be doing something weird, Friarton Prison is where prisoners go who are about to be released (its there for that purpose as it serves Perth Prisons prisoners), so absconding so late into a sentence is a bit daft, now we're going to have to pay for him to get another 6 months on his sentence and sent to Perth prison where he'll have no chance of escaping!

5. Drugs are pretty easy to come by in prison, so I guess booze isn't too tall an order either.

Surely the guy in Friarton can't have been more than 3 years or so into his 7 year sentence - he's 21, I didn't think you went to "big boy prison" till you were 18?

I guess he could have started his sentence in a young offenders unit, but I didn't think that minors got such length sentences?

6. I was browsing the Scotland section of the BBC website to day and I came across these two stories;
    Two dangerous criminals, both serving lengthy prison sentences for violent assault/attempted murder. One is kept in a open prison and runs away when allowed out to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, the other is given a temporary release and then, surprise, surprise, doesn't return.

Oh yes, and there's the added bonus that one of them raped a 16 year old girl whilst on the run.

Open prison! Temporary release! Please someone explain to me WTF the so called justice system in this country is playing at? No wonder people have absolutely no faith that they are being protected by this system.

I despair, I really do.

Open prisons are cheap to run compared to closed prisons, about half the cost per prisoner. Unfortunately this has come to mean that the criteria for acceptance have been "squeezed" to allow more prisoners to be downgraded.
    What was once a useful faciliity for re-intergration of prisoners (particularly long termers) has become a cheap dumping ground for anybody who can spin a convincing yarn.

7. This problem is not confined to UK, the same has occured here in Germany, headbangers allowed out or escaped due to gash security and surprise surprise committed more murder and mayhem. Even the USA has a problem locking people up. This doesn't help UK much, but as I say a common problem elsewhere too.

8. You bunch of dinosaurs. Do you really think prisons are meant to be about locking people up, punishing them and keeping the great un-washed safe in their beds.

No it's about understanding the poor darlings' problems. Re-education re-education re-education to mis-quote a great former barrister. If we can treat them with kindness, show them the errors of their ways and give them the life-skills to contribute to society we will have achieved some good. Nourish them, teach them to manage their addictions and show them how to live in the new welfare state and all will be fine. If they have the initiative to get out early by escape or early parole - what an improvement in their inter-social skills and awareness. The more you can process through the system and put back into society, the more votes we can get. Oops sorry- didn't mean that last bit.

See that old b*ll*x is easy . I'm off to look at the Guardian jobs page £90k a year - here I come!!

9. Letter recieved from Management of Northern Ireland Prison Service.

:?
    The staff at the Prison Service College, under the direction of the Strategic Learning Committee, have for some time been putting together a development programme for Main Grade Officers. This programme follows on directly from the programme delivered to Principal Officers and Senior Officers last year.

The Development Programme will commence with a 2 day workshop to be delivered to all Main Grade Officers starting this year. The workshop is designed to put the Northern Ireland Prison Service within the context of the wider criminal justice system and to set out clearly the future direction of the Service. It will identify the challenges faced by the Service and its staff, including the Government plans to introduce public protection sentences and the increasing requirements from the community about the role that the Prison Service must play in managing and resettling offenders. It will highlight the changing role of the Main Grade Officer in the transition from our traditional focus on security to one which combines the need for confidence in security with increased prisoner engagement and exercising a positive influence on prisoner behaviour and activity.

Further modules are under development which will help Officers to build on the 2 days and acquire additional skill sets.

This is an important programme for the development of the Prison Service and the Prison Service Management Board is committed to ensuring that it is delivered to all staff in a realistic timescale. In order to ensure that this can happen, special arrangements are being put in place to facilitate attendance of staff as part of their normal work group. You will therefore be scheduled to attend the module along with your immediate work colleagues and line managers. In order to ensure that the routine work of the Service can be maintained, an overtime budget has been secured to backfill posts or to allow staff to attend the training on scheduled rest days.

I would like to encourage you all to attend the workshop as part of your normal work group to ensure that individually and collectively we can get the best out of this opportunity. :?

10. We are far too soft on Prisoners. I have read a few articles on Joe Arpaio, he is the toughest sheriff in the US. He has prisoners in tents outdoors with no A/C. He cites that US Soldiers have hardships & intense heat in Iraq & the 'Stan and prisoners would not have better facilities in a Federal Nick. He banned coffee as it has no nutritional value for prisoners and and saved Arizona $150K a year. He feeds his prisoners on $0.30 a day and spends more money pro rata on the guardogs daily messing rate than that of convicts.

I enclose a link. It's a great article and I am going to buy his book from Amazon. Pity we can't get him over to the UK to run a think tank and focus group for the Home Office. He is also the most popular Sheriff in the history of Nevada with a great 85% of the locals voting for him. He also courted the entertainment press & TV stations in the US to get Paris Hilton to serve her sentance in his place. He makes the MCTC at Colchester look like the Dorchester and gets my vote:

:: LINK ::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

11. I too get pig sick of these bleeding liberal complaining about the scums 'rights' being violated! Clearly they haven't had to personally deal with some junkie trying to steal and old woman's bag then had to scarper before the police arrived for fear of being done for assault!

12. Be a bit cautious about this guy - from memory (and I can't remember where I saw this so it may be all rubbish) his jails have the worst rate of prisoners reoffending in the US. He has also had rather a lot of cases thrown out for abuse of process (e.g. having a pair of newspaper editors arrested after they published his address). All a bit third-world really...

13. It all comes down to the good old Political Correctness and the Doo gooder brigade whining about Rights of a Prisoner, fcuking send the scrotes to Australia with the rest of the convicts.

14. Don't do that I'm off there in a few years :roll:

15. Human rights bollocks what about the human rights of normal hard working people

Scrap it put scum in hole and bury them problem sorted
    Then threaten all potential scum with the same.
    Result no more scum