What is Casual

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Taita, Nov 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am due to visit a military establishment tomorrow, with the dress code on arrival to be Casual, then the next day it is into suits etc.

One person's casual is another man's Sunday best so what is appropriate?

I'm not thinking about turning up in trackies and a hoody, however I don't possess cream chinos and a navy blue blazer like so many other POs!

More thinking towards jeans and t shirt as I have a 5 hour train journey to the place.

PS: It isn't a Cavalry Regt!

2. Was always told I was casual.

Make sure you tuck your T-shirt in and if the jeans have belt hooks wear a belt.
    The RLC will love you!

3. Not RLC either!

4. I would suggest, non denim, smartly pressed trousers.
    A shirt with a collar. No tie.
    A nice fitting, not too baggy or too tight, plain jumper.
    Nice clean, comfortable non trainer type footwear.
    Dark coloured, no hole, socks.
    Decent winter coat.
    Don't forget a Pen......

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

As Above including edits.

For Smart Casual lose the jumper and add a Sports Jacket.

Wear jeans and a T-Shirt and you might as well not get off the train.

6. I am assuming that OP is a PO, in which case navy jacket and chinos will need to be acquired soon. In the mean time, do not wear denim and do not wear t-shirt. Broadly agree with previous post, also suggest as suitable corduroy or moleskin trousers, with a real Jersey. Shirt should have a collar: suggest brushed cotton check. Brogues best shoe, anything leather would do.

Barbour/Drizabone remain safe choice of coat, but anything sturdy in a muted colour should pass muster.

7. Crumbs, might be hitting the shops at 0900 tomorrow also then!

Moleskin / Corduroy? I will ask the shop attendant :).

8. I would advise , Dark blue suit white shirt red tie, brown suede shoes with red socks,

9. Gremlin

Barstard!!!!!!!!

That is just not nice!! :lol:

10. Sainsbury's have good corduroys at the moment, not sure how early the big ones reopen on Mons.

11. msr

msr LE

Casual is what is says on the tin: Flip-flops, shorts, Hawaiian shirt (the louder the better) and a hat or bandanna if you really want to cut a dash.

msr

12. Or you could go commando! :p

13. Gremlin

M&S do perfectly acceptable slacks for about £30. Pick a neutral colour, ie Stone, Fawn or Navy. As has been said make sure that they are ironed with creases.

Cords or Moleskins at this stage will make you look like you are trying too hard.

14. We've all assumed Taita is a bloke. Is this the case?

15. I will pick some up and get them ironed somehow in town. Coupled with a shirt like:

http://www.julesb.co.uk/menswear-1/shirts-4/casual-shirts-40/faconnable-brown-stripe-shirt-59313-4560_medium.jpg

only not as garish?