• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

What is Britain?

What is it that defines Britain? or makes us proud to be British?

Is it that we see sun for 5 minutes and women start to wear less? :D

Is it our proud military history?

Is it our ability to produce people like Jordan? 8O

Or is it some other reason?

I call on Arrsers to vent their oppinions!

An utter blind assumption that we already know best at everything, and have no requirement to learn from the lessons of history or change our methods in light of changed conditions?

The knife and fork is Britishness personified. My reasoning below:

In the first world war we taught our officers and company leaders how to use these. The Germans taught theirs how to use new automatic weapons and machinery.

We claim better table manners for knowing how to use the knife and fork and lay claim to being civilised because of it. All other civilisations know better, the knife is viewed as butchering at the table and thereofre uncivilised. So Chinese etc butcher away from the table and serve in pieces.

2Manky said:
The knife and fork is Britishness personified. My reasoning below:

In the first world war we taught our officers and company leaders how to use these. The Germans taught theirs how to use new automatic weapons and machinery.

We claim better table manners for knowing how to use the knife and fork and lay claim to being civilised because of it. All other civilisations know better, the knife is viewed as butchering at the table and thereofre uncivilised. So Chinese etc butcher away from the table and serve in pieces.
No, no. There was no need for Officers to have any education like this until the establishment of the Royal Air Force. Prior to that Officers would just have known ;)

Britishness is boasting about getting irony and then missing it.

Britishness is outrage at a peadophile on page 1 and a barely 18 with her norks out page 3.

Britishness is setting out fo mob justice against peodophiles and beating a peodiatrician to death.

We always set out do the right thing and fcuk it up in the next breath but none the less achieve it. Other nations come along and steal the credit.

Britishness is always putting yourself second to the point of fault.

Britishness is not being able to afford a space program while provinding financial aid to countries that do. (india)

Britishness is payings other for their help when we can't win the fight alone and paying them to join in when they need help.

All valid suggestions so far.

How about an abilty to use sarcasm so often and then get annoyed when it's used aaginst us?

And what other nation can queue like we do?

MrHappy said:
What is it that defines Britain? or makes us proud to be British?
In my view, because I once lived in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Also most other countries around the Globe looked up to Britain.

Now it is known by some, as the dustbin of Europe. :x

Having said that I don't call it UK, I call it Britain and proud to say I'm British, although from the last few years and recent events I'm beginning to wonder.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Britishness is being proud of who you are and where you came from, even though you are seen as rascist to do so.
Britishness is fighting for the freedoms of your homeland only to sit back and watch it given away later.

Britain, the land of opportunity, but only if you don't want to work for it.

S

stabradop

2Manky said:

Britishness is outrage at a peadophile on page 1 and a barely 18 with her norks out page 3.

Britishness is setting out fo mob justice against peodophiles and beating a peodiatrician to death.
We always set out do the right thing and fcuk it up in the next breath but none the less achieve it. Other nations come along and steal the credit.
Actually it was graffiti on the door of her offices.

stabradop said:
2Manky said:

Actually it was graffiti on the door of her offices.
Well, what do you expect when some people spell paediatrician and paedophile with a letter 'o'?
Britain is also about cnuts who correct spelling errors on an online forum. Well it is our language after all. Mostly...
I hate the tw4ts that do that. :D

I love the bit in Fawlty Towers when the doctor (hotel guest) says he's a paediatrician and Basil Fawlty says "Feet"?
"No, Children".

Britain is fish and chips with gravy!!!

And Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, One Foot in the Grave. NOT 90210 or any other American drivel.

Britain invented Football (not soccer!) and cricket.

Britain spawned The Beatles.

nuff said?

Latest Threads