What is Britain?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by MrHappy, May 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is it that defines Britain? or makes us proud to be British?

Is it that we see sun for 5 minutes and women start to wear less? :D

Is it our proud military history?

Is it our ability to produce people like Jordan? 8O

Or is it some other reason?

I call on Arrsers to vent their oppinions!
  2. An utter blind assumption that we already know best at everything, and have no requirement to learn from the lessons of history or change our methods in light of changed conditions?
  3. Leaving your daughter alone in your hotel room in Portugal whilst you are out for a meal with friends. 'Tis the British way.
  4. An ability to rip the piss out of everthing/everyone especially ourselves.
  5. The knife and fork is Britishness personified. My reasoning below:

In the first world war we taught our officers and company leaders how to use these. The Germans taught theirs how to use new automatic weapons and machinery.

We claim better table manners for knowing how to use the knife and fork and lay claim to being civilised because of it. All other civilisations know better, the knife is viewed as butchering at the table and thereofre uncivilised. So Chinese etc butcher away from the table and serve in pieces.
  6. A country with a great future behind it unless things change soon!
  7. The best sense of humour in the world bar none.
  8. No, no. There was no need for Officers to have any education like this until the establishment of the Royal Air Force. Prior to that Officers would just have known ;)
  9. Britishness is boasting about getting irony and then missing it.

Britishness is outrage at a peadophile on page 1 and a barely 18 with her norks out page 3.

Britishness is setting out fo mob justice against peodophiles and beating a peodiatrician to death.

We always set out do the right thing and fcuk it up in the next breath but none the less achieve it. Other nations come along and steal the credit.
  10. Britishness is always putting yourself second to the point of fault.

Britishness is not being able to afford a space program while provinding financial aid to countries that do. (india)

Britishness is payings other for their help when we can't win the fight alone and paying them to join in when they need help.
  11. All valid suggestions so far.

How about an abilty to use sarcasm so often and then get annoyed when it's used aaginst us?

And what other nation can queue like we do?
  12. In my view, because I once lived in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    Also most other countries around the Globe looked up to Britain.

Now it is known by some, as the dustbin of Europe. :x

Having said that I don't call it UK, I call it Britain and proud to say I'm British, although from the last few years and recent events I'm beginning to wonder.
  13. britishness is apologising when somebody bumps into you
  14. The ability to drink tea when the going gets a bit rough.
  15. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Britishness is being proud of who you are and where you came from, even though you are seen as rascist to do so.
    Britishness is fighting for the freedoms of your homeland only to sit back and watch it given away later.

Britain, the land of opportunity, but only if you don't want to work for it.