What is an Appropriate Thankyou Gift? (Militaria + Antiques?)

Discussion in 'Officers' started by clever_user_name, Sep 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fellow Arrsers,

Next month, I'm going to be admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales.

(I'll pause for lawyer/colonial/colonial lawyer jokes).

Anyway, there's a ceremony in the Court, full of pomp and tradition, in which an already admitted solicitor (or barrister) motions for your admission, which is then approved by the Court. At the completion of the ceremony, it's tradition for the newly admitted solicitor to give the person who put the motion for their admission a gift - usually a bottle of scotch.

The guy I've got putting the motion is a solicitor of some experience who I happen to have served with in the past, who is currently a captain in the Legal Corps, and who takes his service quite seriously, with a fair amount of pride. For this reason, I don't really want to give him the standard bottle of booze, but would prefer to give him some kind of antique or collectable as a mark of my appreciation. I was thinking an antique compass, or a bayonet or something similar.

With this in mind, I'm looking for a help from some of the more worldly and experienced members - where is a good place to find this kind of gift, and if you've given something like this in the past, what would you recommend?

I've had a look at eBay already, which is generally pretty shoite; any better spots to look?

Thanks,

clever_user_name

2. [​IMG]

I would be more than happy with either of these bottles of scotch. Much better than a rusty old bayonet or compass!

3. A bottle of scotch seems a low value item, maybe a traditional token gesture? Is there a maximum value that's considered acceptable (also by tradition or perhaps even rules of etiquette), beyond which bribery is inferred? Are there rules concerning members' declaration of gifts to be considered?

Sometimes it's best not to break with tradition - the bulging brown envelope can be left at a dead-letter drop in accordance with the rules of custom...

4. To the best of my knowledge, there are no rules on declaration of gifts to be considered; they might apply within a firm if you were introduced to the court my a partner for whom you worked, but in the present case I'm not working for the guy, nor am I anywhere near his chain of command anymore.

As for standard value, again it's a pretty subjective thing. Some people just get the nearest lawyer to put the motion before the Court, but others will go with someone special. If you're introducing a family member, for instance, you're allowed to state your relationship to them. Eg, "Please the Court, Your Honour, I wish to put the motion that my son/daughter/wife/husband/mother/father be recognised and admitted...", or whatever the standard line is.

Given my previous service with the guy, I thought it best to get something a little more personal (and military focused) as I know it'll mean more to him than a bottle of scotch (and last far, far longer).

Thanks for the replies so far!

5. Giving gifts, especially from one male to another is bordering on membership to a club who utilise rainbow flags as their emblem.

A firm handshake followed up with a hearty slap on the back is merit enough in these austere times.

Although a good prostrate milking can be considered an added bonus.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I think a swastika makes an interesting and thought provoking gift, worthy of anyone in your pseudo Masonic environment.

7. Best of both worlds.

Hijos-De-Villa-Pistol-Reposado-Tequila.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. When you're introduced to the court, as an icebreaker you could use the old special branch joke: What do you call a poof in a wig and a gown? Your Honour.

9. Half hour on one of these will suffice.

10. You're making assumptions. He may feel at more at home with a slightly newer 'gift' with added extra's

2615815696_7dbb1e4103.jpg