What is a BDR?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Lacie, Nov 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Just saw that a BDR is a bombardier, what's this? Is it current or a thing of the past? Army or Royal Marines?

Thanks!

2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

You asked the question and then answered it

3. I think she also means what is a bombardier.

4. ha ha! Yes but then I asked two other questions!

5. What planet? Bombardier is the Royal Artillery nomenclature for a Corporal. Very old terminology.

Is a Non Commissioned Officer as he was originally rather more skilled that mattrosses and gunners!

6. "Bombardier is the Royal Artillery nomenclature for a Corporal. Very old terminology. "

Thank you. It's just we've found it by someones name on JPA, alongside 79 commando. We're confused with the whole 29/79/148 commando Army/Marines thing anyway.

7. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

If you are on JPA then I assume you are military and should understand rank structures and perhaps units:?

8. I'm not in the army though and it's quite different to the RN. And units confuse the life out of me. Ships are easier.

9. Means he is part of the 105mm batteries attatched to 3rd commado brigade.

10. Thank you. Yet again, more numbers, will look into it now, thanks again.

11. Also, one more thing, a 'spotter'?? What would be the actual rank/rate of a 'spotter'? Please.

12. Dont use that as an excuse i'm RNR and know this! lmao

13. I'm a stoker, we don't need to know these things lol!

14. A bombardier is a corporal in the artillery, different name, same rank. A lance sergeant is a corporal in the foot guards. Lance corporal of horse=corporal in the horse guards.

15. Thank you! :0)