what if your injured on ops tour?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by richy4, Nov 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So if your badly injured on an ops tour and in the TA what army/MoD help to get afterwards and what about compensation etc?

Just a general enquiry really as going on tour is quite likely (ish) and if its a sandy tour then i guess there is a very good chance of an injury.
  2. This should be explained to you at some point down the line, if not, make some enquires at your unit.
  3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Nothing like being positive Jonah, oops I mean Richy, who you serving with? :roll:
  4. Christ your recruiting staff must be red hot!!!!!!....you were only thinking of joining the RRF on the 4th of NOV..... :)

your going no where for a year mate.......wait till your in your Battalion

you still have ADSC...then phase one then CIC

Best of Luck..... :wink:
  5. msr

msr LE

And then it will all be explained at Chilwell.

6. i know I am not going anywhere for a while, it was more of a general wondering really, and something to tell the wife as she is bound to ask.
  7. As already siad it will all be explained in great detail at chillwell. I picked up a minor injury in a hot sandy place and my treatment was fantastic, I wouldnt have got better back home. I was lucky I had max Pax as well. On return to UK all my treatment and Physio was Royal Navy, Exellent.

I have no complaints at all on my treatment or handling by Army, they really pulled all stops out.

Hope this helps

PS PAX is insurance taken out at Chillwell but there may be others that are better now, shop arround
  8. in a nut shell you get the same treatmeant as a regular, and same compensation as a regular!
    but if you have a slight injury such as a broken hand make sure you are 100% happy with the final treatment as once you and the army sign off its very hard to get any help if it becomes a problem unlike our regular counter parts
  9. in my case they fcked me off after a number of ineffectual physio courses saying that i would get better treatment through my gp and the nhs. ive had fck all but im on a waiting list.

i will probably have back problems for the rest of my life but i think i got off lucky. at least im here and can watch my daughter grow up

as for compensation, i was involved in two separate incidents and they couldnt decide which led to my longterm problems so i got very little.

i found out that PAX insurance didnt cover my injury so got nothing from them.
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

TA perss get the same medical care chain as Regulars, until they are discharged at the end of their Op Tour. A friend in my TA unit was on Op Agricola, in Banja Luka. Went out running on the disused railway track and pulled a knee ligament.

We didn't see him at the Unit for two years. When he did resurface he told us Army Med Svcs would not discharge him until he'd been through extensive rehab activity at Headley Court and wouldn't let him go.

Another TA guy with more recent experience of mil medical care for TA perss you might like to PM is HAC Trooper who survived a mine strike in AFG in (iirc) 2006 although badly injured. You could ask him. He subsequently set up a large fundraising event for H4H in the City. Google for the press coverage.

Fusilier 50 - there is an NHS-wide DIRECTIVE out there that veterans
    ( and that includes YOU pal) should receive priority treatment for conditions relating to active service.

RBL website has a fandabidozee article about it HERE
    Best advice to you if you've been parked on a 6 month waiting list is to contact your local SSAFA branch and ask them to jump up and down with your local Primary Health Care Trust until they get told to go away.

In my experience, SSAFA will dive in on your behalf with a will. If you don't know who your local SSAFA is, PM OldSnowy and he'll put you in touch......Alles Klaar ?
  11. Sorry to be a spotter but Op Agricola (named after the Roman General who was responsible for conquest of Britain) was an op name for Kosovo.
  12. Yep, PALATINE/OCULUS in my day. I used to hate the way the Kosovo Op was called AGRI-COLER, mainly by the SNCOs at RTMC!
  13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

No apologies required - quite right . My bad....I get to carry the Mong-brick of Justice for a watch :)

other than that I hope I ain't told no lies !
  14. Good to see things have improved since my day.
    I was discharged Cat P8 in 1981 due to onset of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy following a training incident. The MoD's only part in the process was the faceless suits from the MoD demanding I be gotten rid off ASAP.
  15. Not me hopefully!