What IF -The UK had a really big disaster?

Actually reading the blog on Brown and his failing on the BBC and heared the following...

"China has sent a further 30,00 troops and 90 extra helicopters into Sechwan province", so what if the UK had any type of disaster in this scale.

90 extra , on top of what was there. Does the RAF, AAC and Navy even have this many for humanitarian assistance?

WTF could UK PLC do ?

BROON - "OH its all under control, we have the boy scouts and a ex RAF fitter with a radio controlled model helicopter , with a camera in the area ".

comments?

Mobilise the TA, get Radio 4 going, and generally Keep Calm and Carry On.

It's what we DO! Brits under pressure make tea and crack on.

I now call this silly thread closed.

Maybe if the UK had 20 times the population and five times the economy coupled with a much cheaper procurement cycle* it would have the extra kit.

*i.e. steal the design from the Russians then make it with sweatshop labour.

seemahpoint said:

Is it compulsory to be a Hermer at times of crisis?

:D

Its not a silly thread at all and is in fact a very good question. The recent defence select committe report in fact draws a specific warning about the ability of the forces to provide adequate support to the civilian power. Foot and Mouth, Floods and various storms have demonstrated the inherrant value of using the armed forces to support the various civil contingencies agencies.

Heedthebaw said:
seemahpoint said:

Is it compulsory to be a Hermer at times of crisis?

:D
Yes, it's in your DNA. When the time is right, you will understand.

An initial wtf..... followed by kettle's on, and brews all round while a quick plan was knocked up on the back of the compulsory planning fag packet....

Then we would just get on with sorting it in time for tea n biccies.....

I wouldn't worry about this - we have the Legion of Frontiersmen! :roll:

Big diaster in UK?

What diaster?

Let´s face it teh only reason why the nation hasn´t burned down teh Reichstag, er Houses of Parliment and held a Coup d´etat is due to the calming influence of a good strong cuppa char..... and either a biccy or a wad to go with it.

Well, Gordon Brown and his Darling Chancellor will quickly bring in the disaster tax, this will probably at a rate of 60% of the insurance claim of the disaster victim, as their thoughts would be if the victims are gaining so should the goverment. well its only that and fresh air thats not taxed at the moment.

Stilts

If we had a disaster we'd do the same as Burma, post cyclone:

1. Don't ask for international aid - we can manage quite nicely thank you
2. Country's leader arrives for photo opportunity on the ground 4 days later
3. Er....
4. That's it.

Or, we'd do the same as the USA, post Katrina:

1. Don't ask for international aid - we can manage quite nicely thank you
2. Country's leader arrives for photo opportunity on the ground 5 days later
3. Er....
4. That's it.

STILTS said:
Well, Gordon Brown and his Darling Chancellor will quickly bring in the disaster tax, this will probably at a rate of 60% of the insurance claim of the disaster victim, as their thoughts would be if the victims are gaining so should the goverment. well its only that and fresh air thats not taxed at the moment.

Stilts
Already done that afraid. The floods caused £££££ of damage, which needed to be repaired. So many residents bought a caravan to live in (+VAT), then all the building repairs charged to the ins company (+VAT), the materials required for the re-build (+VAT).
Bit slow stilts, cyclops has already done it!

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Assuming I survived the wholesale devastaion of Merseyside, northern Cheshire and Greater Manchester though I would be in clover. I'm young, fit, strong, viscious when corned and I would consider it my right to beat a few chavs to death and found the Trnas-Sane Crown Loyal Independant Territory.

But seriously we'd be a bit screwed. The current gobment couldn't find its arrse if it rang ordnace survey for tips, the PM is weak and indecisive and the majority of the chavs running around afterwards would start looting before the waters receded or the wind died.