What if the moon landings went wrong? Deep fake videos and misinformation capabilities

Kubrick got advice from America's leading computer and aerospace engineers and asked them what they were working on in future development and got them to speculate what things might look like 15-25 years away rather than centuries away,

If you look at the Pan Am clipper which took Reggie Perrin into space it is pretty much the Shuttle with an added nose cone, longer wings and an engine on the back. Hardly surprising that at exactly the same time as the film was being made NASA invited tenders from aerospace companies for a reusable spaceship.
View attachment 609104

The 2001 computers looked more like the racked systems we see nowadays whereas in reality computers of the time were boxy cabinets like this IBM S/370:
View attachment 609107

The real irony that seems to be lost on the moon hoax tinfoilers is that if someone like Kubrick filmed it he would have made a damn site better fist of it than the clunky piece of heavy metal, nuts and bolts and dodgy graphics , comms etc that we actually got.

Yup, if it was a ‘production’ a la studio style and production values, Hollywood would more likely make the faked landing look more in keeping with our expectations.

The demeanour of the astronauts in their interview came across as lagubrious, ashamed, guilty, hesitant and downbeat.

So much so, that many claim this alone arouses suspicion

That old demeanour bollox. That particular conspiraloon idiocy has been shot down and explained gazillions of times.

And demeanour is not evidence.

There’s not one jot of any evidence of faked moon landings. None. Looks like, seems like, could be, I believe, sounds like, I think, etc., is not evidence.

By evidence, show transcripts, meeting notes, the Kubrick film negatives or outtakes, etc., But you can’t, because there isn’t any.

That old demeanour bollox. That particular conspiraloon idiocy has been shot down and explained gazillions of times.
Yep, a trio of chaps whose daytime job is flying high performance aircraft in war.
Or training for war.
Their next assignment was th most intensive training ever, in a field which has never been attempted.
And... yep, they were pretty cool and relaxed.
They had 'the right stuff'. Obviously conspiraloons cannot grasp this concept.
As an aside, I met that Andy Green chap a while baclk.
Laid back, lagubrious... yep. I'd never tell HIM he was talking bollocks about driving at 1000mph.

And demeanour is not evidence.

There’s not one jot of any evidence of faked moon landings. None. Looks like, seems like, could be, I believe, sounds like, I think, etc., is not evidence.

By evidence, show transcripts, meeting notes, the Kubrick film negatives or outtakes, etc., But you can’t, because there isn’t any.

The Moon Nazis and The Clangers got rid of the evidence obviously, they didn't want their existence on the moon to be proved

So the landings were faked, and then the evidence was destroyed

Yep, a trio of chaps whose daytime job is flying high performance aircraft in war.
Or training for war.
Their next assignment was th most intensive training ever, in a field which has never been attempted.
Laid back, lagubrious... yep. I'd never tell HIM he was talking bollocks about driving at 1000mph.
Remember, most of the people who think the crew's reaction unrealistic are used to watching YouTube clips where people get hysterically ecstatic about having a a smiley face on top of their frothy moccachino, or break down in tears if their club sandwich has the wrong dressing on. Fly to the moon and stay cool and calm? Unpossible!
(Forgetting of course, that being cool as ice is pretty much a prerequisite for sitting on top of two and a half thousand tons of explosive rocket fuel and and being capable of taking life and death decisions instantaneously at any moment).

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Remember, most of the people who think the crew's reaction unrealistic are used to watching YouTube clips where people get hysterically ecstatic about having a a smiley face on top of their frothy moccachino, or break down in tears if their club sandwich has the wrong dressing on. Fly to the moon and stay cool and calm? Unpossible!
(Forgetting of course, that being cool as ice is pretty much a prerequisite for sitting on top of two and a half thousand tons of explosive rocket fuel and and being capable of taking life and death decisions instantaneously at any moment).
"My military training kicked in"
A bit of a cliche, I know, but for these chaps, all experienced pilots, and all having been in dicey situations, the training DID kick in.
Otherwise they'd be toast.
Two stories which are very apt - Gemini 8, which Armstrong managed to stabilise, and after which Gene Kranz wrote, "The crew reacted as they were trained, and they reacted wrong because we trained them wrong."
And Armstrong punching out of the flying bedstead, and thereafter going back to his office to do some work.
All in a day's work for these chaps.

The demeanour of the astronauts in their interview came across as lagubrious, ashamed, guilty, hesitant and downbeat.

So much so, that many claim this alone arouses suspicion
The men who had spent 3 weeks in quarantine then got sent on a PR tour? They weren’t leaping up and down being excited at the prospect?

Or training for war.
Unlike the movies, there’s no yelling and wrestling with the controls, just ‘flying the plane’ until you run out of height, speed or ideas, then possibly ‘oh shi…’ (or in the case of a Jaguar (?) pilot that went down in trees “Timber!”). The epitome of this is probably Captain Sully, a cab full of fuel and pax, 2 dead engines, given a diversion by ATC replied ‘we’re going to be in the Hudson’ then did just that…

Unlike the movies, there’s no yelling and wrestling with the controls, just ‘flying the plane’ until you run out of height, speed or ideas, then possibly ‘oh shi…’ (or in the case of a Jaguar (?) pilot that went down in trees “Timber!”). The epitome of this is probably Captain Sully, a cab full of fuel and pax, 2 dead engines, given a diversion by ATC replied ‘we’re going to be in the Hudson’ then did just that…
Sully wrote about his F4 days, and how he used to do landings the same, every time, on the same glide slope, same level wings etc
It was hinted at in the movie.

I think that the flight crew probably in that press conference were ‘out of their depth’ because they were trained military pilots/astronauts who had trained for every eventuality they could think if of and then the get put in front of the press who, probably in the pilots opinions, did not want the technical answers but wanted the gossip/dirt so we’re not going to come out if it well

Chef

LE
I think that the flight crew probably in that press conference were ‘out of their depth’ because they were trained military pilots/astronauts who had trained for every eventuality they could think if of and then the get put in front of the press who, probably in the pilots opinions, did not want the technical answers but wanted the gossip/dirt so we’re not going to come out if it well
Good point.

They would have been picked for their flying capabilities rather than their marketability. Plus they're of a generation who're slightly more self effacing.

I would imagine that PR training consisted of one period during the whole training course:

'Don't swear, pick your nose or belch'.

Nowadays NASA would be looking for astronauts who tick lots of PR boxes.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Good point.

They would have been picked for their flying capabilities rather than their marketability. Plus they're of a generation who're slightly more self effacing.

I would imagine that PR training consisted of one period during the whole training course:

'Don't swear, pick your nose or belch'.

Nowadays NASA would be looking for astronauts who tick lots of PR boxes.
I would disagree, if you read The Right Stuff or pretty much any other book about the early days of NASA, it's clear that PR was always at the heart of the American space programme. "Your Tax Dollars at Work to Beat the Reds" was the message, and every astronaut was expected to take part in long publicity tours. They were salesmen for space, they knew it, and the took it seriously.

Chef

LE
I would disagree, if you read The Right Stuff or pretty much any other book about the early days of NASA, it's clear that PR was always at the heart of the American space programme. "Your Tax Dollars at Work to Beat the Reds" was the message, and every astronaut was expected to take part in long publicity tours. They were salesmen for space, they knew it, and the took it seriously.
Fair point.

I'd still expect the tours to be like the ones pilots did round the US during the war.

'I'm a thoroughly competent pilot with a proven record and I'm here to bang the drum'.

Fair point.

I'd still expect the tours to be like the ones pilots did round the US during the war.

'I'm a thoroughly competent pilot with a proven record and I'm here to bang the drum'.
No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

BUT remember the black astronaut candidate 'railroaded' into the program?
Ed Dwight.
And Robert Lawrence?
Yes, good for PR, but Dwight always maintained he was a pilot, not a 'talking head'
"Bobby Kennedy wants a colored in space. Get one into your course."

James Burke of Connections fame was interviewed for a recent BBC special on how the BBC covered the space program up to Apollo. He said the agency people loved them because they would ask questions like "Why is the third mid course correction so important?" while the US media averaged around "What does your Mom think?"

The Astronauts may well have accepted the necessity of the PR work but it was regarded as case of your "turn in the barrel".

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
James Burke of Connections fame was interviewed for a recent BBC special on how the BBC covered the space program up to Apollo. He said the agency people loved them because they would ask questions like "Why is the third mid course correction so important?" while the US media averaged around "What does your Mom think?"

The Astronauts may well have accepted the necessity of the PR work but it was regarded as case of your "turn in the barrel".
Unfortunately, the BBC of today would go with the Mom question.

Unfortunately, the BBC of today would go with the Mom question.
Only if they couldnt get in a "So what your saying is" or a "Do you think you should apologise for not having a representative of aall 107 genders in your 3 man person individial capsule" followed by a segment on why the Saturn rocket needs radical redesign because ""Aerodynamics are no excuse its hideously white and Patriachally Phallocentric in appearance - a boon for mysogonists every where and bullies women from applying""

Latest Threads