What if the moon landings went wrong? Deep fake videos and misinformation capabilities

AIUI the intention is to hit the smaller of the two objects in the system "from behind" to alter (increase its speed?) its orbital characteristics. If it is a rubble-pile and it breaks up they might create a ringed planetoid.

ETA The Guardian link (now i have read it) says they expect the orbit to be smaller post impact so the from behind bit may well be wrong. That said orbital stuff is so mental it might be either.
From a TED talk on the subject - the asteroid they are most worried about, and which this could be a practice for, could be put out of harms way by the application of a level of force equivalent to the weight of an A4 piece of paper, applied for several hours (IIRC). This was not to be applied on the orbit they were worried about but the one before.

Space is big and a tiny fraction of a degree several billion miles away means it misses earth by a big margin.

(Insert quote about the chemists, etc)

From a TED talk on the subject - the asteroid they are most worried about, and which this could be a practice for, could be put out of harms way by the application of a level of force equivalent to the weight of an A4 piece of paper, applied for several hours (IIRC). This was not to be applied on the orbit they were worried about but the one before.

Space is big and a tiny fraction of a degree several billion miles away means it misses earth by a big margin.

(Insert quote about the chemists, etc)
The technique I want to see practiced is the Gravity Tractor.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I will laugh if the asteroid breaks up when the American probe hits it and pieces of it cause chaos in Earth orbit and on entry into the atmosphere.
...However, when the heavily camouflaged Thargon space destroyer back-tracks the trajectory of the missile aimed at it, I fear your laughs will be short lived...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Tharg's evil twin?
Shhh. Don't tell everyone, the meat sacks aren't fully marinated in the Astra Zeneca bouillon innoculation...

Latest Threads