What if...Britain became a Republic?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Crash, Jun 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Notwithstanding the inane TV coverage of the Jubilee events, the overwhelming sentiment in Britain - and across the Commonwealth - of the Queen is ‘job well done’. The nobbly-kneed beardy Republicans were as out of step and out of tune with public opinion as Sir Cliff Richard was at the cringing concert.

But, what if…Britain had become a republic? It could have happened after the Suez Crisis, or as a result of the alleged ‘Zuckerman plot’ in 1973, or indeed the Winter of Discontent in 1979 – or perhaps during the Miners’ Strike. Where would the UK (?) – perhaps the Republic of the Federated States of Britain – be now?

What would Britain’s influence be like in the world? Would we have gone fully ‘Europhile’ and adopted the Euro – or sought isolationism – and the end to the ‘special relationship’ with the US. Perhaps no Gulf War I and II? No Afghanistan? Certainly no Commonwealth, per se.

Although I am a loyalist I am also fascinated in the ‘what might have been’ for Britain. Any grown-up thoughts?
  2. About 37 months after the election of Tony Blair as President for Life, Gordon Brown would have organized a coup. Which failed.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Yes - perhaps there was a Republican window in 1997 after the death of Diana. And who waould have stepped in as a 'caretaker president'. Tony by any chance?
  4. So few people vote (or are even capable of making an "informed choice") these days, it wouldn't be fair to ask them to vote for a president AS WELL!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ein Volk, Ein reich, Ein.... You get the drift...
  6. You wouldn't have got your Jubilee bling.
  7. Arbeit macht frei
  8. We tried a Republic, sort of, once, and decided it wasn't for us.

What we have done is retain the benefits of Monarchy - continuity, tradition, someone unquestionably apart from party politics - whislt at the same time developing the Republican option of binning a useless or destructive leader (Edward II, Charles I, James II, Edward VIII) when they become more trouble than they're worth.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Your scenarios for possible move to a republic are all political **** ups so I don't see how a fuckup by politicians would entice the great unwashed to vote for a politician as Head of State.

The Monarchy made a huge mistake over their handling of the death of Diana but again there was no real wish for the Monarchy to go, just to get their act together.
    I don't feel there are any real Republican feelings in this country at the moment, nor in the foreseeable future.
  10. I suppose it would depend on the type of Republic. Would we go for a figurehead President like Ireland and, to some extent, Germany? Or would we go for a serious head of government like the USA or even France? If the first, then no problem. Just make Elizabeth 2 the first President of the British Republic and carry on as usual. If the second, then a President with no majority in the Houses of Parliament might make for a few heated debates. A President who meets and greets foreign dignitaries and hosts lavish dinner parties or a President who makes the policies and then sees them voted down by Parliament.
  11. Politicians...... the monarchys secret weapon against republicans.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. It would be a bloody nightmare , we would be the same a Germany or France, fcuked .
  13. We'd have to put up with a load of turgid, self-seeking politicians lining their own pockets because they think 40% of the vote on a 50% turnout gives them "the people's mandate".
  14. Not so sure about Germany. An enviable standard of living, a budget surplus (now that the East has been rehabilitated), uber-powerful role in Europe, ridiculously low inflation, shiny cars, constitutionally pacifist, shiny cars (did I mention this?), great beer, etc etc. Yep, pretty fu%ked, I suppose...
    • Like Like x 2
  15. But we do anyway. How would this change under a republic - apart from making voting compulsary?