What Hoops Do You Jump Through To Work In The EU

Discussion in 'Economics' started by rgjbloke, Feb 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Arrse is a fairly international community so I think I can get some answers to my question here.

    Immigration into Britain is a big issue not just for many Arrsers but also for a large amount of people living in Britain. I looked at a thread on here about traveling by train in Spain and noted in a link within the thread that someone asked a question about moving to Spain from Britain and there was a query about a residency qualification, i.e. needing a job in situ to move there or having money in the bank. Stuff like that.

    I was under the impression that under EU law now, any EU State who had signed up to the relevant agreement must allow other EU citizens free access across it's borders and the right to seek work or to receive benefits if they can't find work.

    Is that the case? This thread isn't about the politics of whether people should or shouldn't be allowed into Britain. It's an attempt at fact finding to try and discover plainly what people can do in terms of moving around the EU to work. Of course different countries will interpret EU law with their own twist to it and some may well be more blatant than others in how they ensure the rules suit themselves rather than the spirit of what was really intended by the EU.

    That apart, if I was to move to for example Spain! Can I just uproot myself from the UK and drive there and become a resident or do I need to have either a job offer, a decent pension or substantial capital in the bank before I can go and live there?

    Ditto, France, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Poland etc etc?
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  2. I know Switzerland had/have strict rules about citizenship. If you traveled there, got a job offer and wished to stay and work you had to leave the country to make your application and only come back when /if it was approved. I envy that control to be honest.
  3. TheIronDuke

    TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

    Yes. It is the EU. You can move anywhere. Once you find yourself there, you are on your own. Free market economy, you know? It is what Thatcher and her ****ing Muppets bleated on about. Now you have got it. Enjoy.

    Send me a post card from Romania. I hear they have lovely donkeys.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Freedom of movement of good and people. An EU mantra. Summat like that.
  5. Presumably then Spain do shit benefits while we do Rolls Royce ones. Otherwise why else does every bone idle, dole seeking scrounger come here to a cold and miserable UK with shitty weather, rather than head for the costa del sol? If I could get the same money in either location, I know which way I'd be headed!
  6. In Spain, unemployment benefits are linked to contribution history, and in any case simply stop after a certain period.

    UK is probably still the only European country where any foreigner can set up and run a business without running into invisible - or blatantly visible - barriers.
  7. It's equalities innit, the most pestilent roma pikey immigrant has equal rights with someone who's worked hard and paid in all their life.
  8. In Germany it's fairly simple, no permit required as an EU citizen, you need a valid address and you need to register at the local town hall.

    Simplicity flies out of the window when you get to their poxy ****ing tax returns though!
  9. the balance of justice in my mind says no. i'm trying to equalise it (with bags of dole money) but it still says no.
  10. You can come to Spain for up to 3 months. If you want to stay longer, you have to register as a foreign EU citizen. To do this, you need to prove you have medical cover and enough income to keep you. The proof of income can be anything from a pension to a credit card with enough of a limit to cover your stay. If you are under 18 and over 65, you will get free medical treatment. In between, you will only get emergency treatment at a hospital if you carry an EHIC card. To access the Spanish NHS you need to either have your treatment paid for by your home country (UK will pay up to 2 years based on your NI contributions or permanently if you are in receipt of a pension) or pay into the social security system. This costs 270 euros a month regardless of how much you earn. You can do this by getting a job or declaring "autonomo" (self employed). These payments must be made regardless of whether you are working or not but will, if you are employed, give you benefits later on. Depending on how much you have paid will depend on how long unemployment benefits last. These payments also go towards a pension (you can transfer your UK pension rights across and they get added together).
    Getting a job. Over 25% unemployment in Spain with over 50% youth unemployment. You won't get a job unless you speak fluent Spanish unless it's bar work or similar which pays about 4 euros an hour. You have to earn a lot a tips to pay your social security. These rules are not just for foreigners. Spanish will not get NHS treatment or unemployment benefits unless they have paid into the system unless at least one person in the household (relative) is paying into the system. Once you have lived here for 5 years, you can claim automatic residency if you haven't got the medical insurance or sufficient funds. You can claim "bajo" or under the poverty line and receive NHS care but you will not be entitled to benefits.
    This bit about all Europeans being equal simply means you get the same treatment as a national, not what you were getting in your own country. Pensioners have to pay 10% of the cost of their medication in Spain (up to a maximum of 8 euros a month) despite getting it free in UK. People in UK get free treatment and can claim benefits because that is exactly what the local population can do as it is all based on residency and not on contributions paid.
    Even things like owning a car does not mean you can use it anywhere in Europe. If you intend to live in the country, you have up to 30 days to register it with Spanish plates and pay Spanish road tax (mine, by the way, on 1.8 Ford Focus is €46,80 a year). If you are just bringing the car over, you can use it for up to 6 months but UK insurance companies will only give you up to 3 months. So, although it is all supposed to be the same for everyone, each country sets its own rules which they can apply.