What have you hidden in your cellar?

So you're the reason for the shortages in shops.
Also bog roll bechams and shotgun cartridges
DSC_2415.JPG
remember preparing to fail is failing to prepare

A submersible pump in the rear cellar and about twenty tons of building rubble in the front one, along with all of the smashed 18th C. hearths & marble fire surrounds (cheers, stupid previous owners) that I have to clear out/try to piece together.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
This was my house originaly

View attachment 592053
They get developed as the families grow, there was 9 people living there just after WW2.

Then a bit more development
View attachment 592056
View attachment 592057
And then there is enough room for 2 people in this modern world:)
'er Indoor's mother grew up as 1 of 7 kids in two rooms in rural communist era Eastern Bloc. Kitchen/living room with big stove that doubled as a bedroom at night, second room was a bedroom for the parents that doubled as living accommodation during the day and of course, an outside kharzi. Mind you, my Dad growing up in the Rhondda in the '40s and '50s didn't have it much better.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
We visited 'er indoors's uncle and aunty in rural former Soviet controlled territory a few years ago. Knowing my interest in things alcohol related he took us down to the cellar (in a good way) to show us his stash. The vaulted cellar was rammed with pickled goods, presumably non-hitchhiker related, and scores of bottles of various sizes and shapes.

We'd had a few drinks by then so he slurrily and with great ceremony presented me with a dust covered bottle of clear liquid which I took to be slivovice. Gratefully accepting the gift, he followed with a stern lecture in deepest foreign which sounded like a Slavic rendition of Lesson One in weapons handling.

'er Indoors explained that he was trying to tell me that it was indeed slivovice but not normal slivovice and should be treated very carefully. I thanked him and then upset the mood a bit by trying to take a photo of the cellar which he strongly objected to. 'er Indoors explained that while he was allowed to produce a certain amount of home distilled spirits, he'd ripped the arrse out of it by several hundred litres and would get at least a hefty fine and confiscation off everything if discovered. So, no pictures, mas to!

On our return home I decided to open the bottle. Very nice, although admittedly strong. On waking up at about 3am on the sofa I noticed that I had clumsily spilt some and it had taken the varnish off the coffee table. It was apparently 95% proof. 'er Indoors not impressed and still reminds me about it years later even though it was her uncle's fault.

964ST

LE
'er Indoor's mother grew up as 1 of 7 kids in two rooms in rural communist era Eastern Bloc. Kitchen/living room with big stove that doubled as a bedroom at night, second room was a bedroom for the parents that doubled as living accommodation during the day and of course, an outside kharzi. Mind you, my Dad growing up in the Rhondda in the '40s and '50s didn't have it much better.
What I found particulary unusual was that the original house had 2 living rooms (one left and one right as you entered the front door)!!?? One was the used family one (left) and the 2nd (right) was a guest reception living room, immaculate and well appointed with nice furniture!?

What I found particulary unusual was that the original house had 2 living rooms (one left and one right as you entered the front door)!!?? One was the used family one (left) and the 2nd (right) was a guest reception living room, immaculate and well appointed with nice furniture!?
Pal of mine bought an end of terrace in Nottingham.
Turned out it was the street air raid shelter. The shelter extended under the road and was about five times the footprint of the house

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
It's a few years since I visited that part of the family and IIRC you entered from the front door into the kitchen/living room and the bedroom was off to the right with another, smaller stove. By this stage they had built an indoor toilet off to the left from the front door which they were at great pains to explain was for No1s only. Sh1tting in outside lav only. This was an old house, not communist-era build.

We visited 'er indoors's uncle and aunty in rural former Soviet controlled territory a few years ago. Knowing my interest in things alcohol related he took us down to the cellar (in a good way) to show us his stash. The vaulted cellar was rammed with pickled goods, presumably non-hitchhiker related, and scores of bottles of various sizes and shapes.

We'd had a few drinks by then so he slurrily and with great ceremony presented me with a dust covered bottle of clear liquid which I took to be slivovice. Gratefully accepting the gift, he followed with a stern lecture in deepest foreign which sounded like a Slavic rendition of Lesson One in weapons handling.

'er Indoors explained that he was trying to tell me that it was indeed slivovice but not normal slivovice and should be treated very carefully. I thanked him and then upset the mood a bit by trying to take a photo of the cellar which he strongly objected to. 'er Indoors explained that while he was allowed to produce a certain amount of home distilled spirits, he'd ripped the arrse out of it by several hundred litres and would get at least a hefty fine and confiscation off everything if discovered. So, no pictures, mas to!

On our return home I decided to open the bottle. Very nice, although admittedly strong. On waking up at about 3am on the sofa I noticed that I had clumsily spilt some and it had taken the varnish off the coffee table. It was apparently 95% proof. 'er Indoors not impressed and still reminds me about it years later even though it was her uncle's fault.
We cleared the flat of my wife's great aunt Fanny in Trieste and found a very large stash of carso-distilled grappa which we immediately hacked into, making a severe dent in the quantity and secreted the rest in items of furniture that we shipped back to the UK for the house in Yorkshire.
Crikey, some of it was as rough as rough can be but, by George did it work!
My mother-in-law always has a decent supply too and ensures that we get a few healthy doses of it whenever we pop over.

Diko

Old-Salt
I have a coal shute and more dank too

Attachments

• 2E5DCFA6-4E59-47CE-A960-AED0ED5D0716.jpeg
    2E5DCFA6-4E59-47CE-A960-AED0ED5D0716.jpeg
    818.1 KB · Views: 17
  • A9D89336-0EEE-401A-8AF1-6BB6032EB5CB.jpeg
    A9D89336-0EEE-401A-8AF1-6BB6032EB5CB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17

Latest Threads