what have the romans ever done for us?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Proper_Gander, Mar 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. easter holidays this week, it's brilliant! only 3 and a half days of work!
    it should be easter holidays every week....

so in that spirit... who would you nail to a cross in the name of public holidays?

i'm a bit torn between Lady Gaga and Eto'o

the former for pretending to being "art" instead of making decent music. she can be "art" while she's nailed to a cross, with the added bonus of freeing up the airwaves for some decent music.

Eto'o for confusing professional football with theatre/drama/ballet/cliffdiving

my 2 nominees have the advantage of either being black or female which will please the anti-discrimination people.

any further suggestions welcome.
  2. what have the romany ever done for us?

Besides selling clothespegs and heather?
  3. paved your drive?
  4. David bleedin' Cameron.
  5. Stole your copper piping, and lead from the local church (actually happened round my way)
  6. typo corrected (ye bastards)

7. In that case, Wiped out the Icene, Norwich has never been the same, and they didn't do a bad job on Mona
  8. An unhealthy interest in leather strappy sandals?
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, nailed to a cross. I presume that said victim will be left there to snuff it? The asphyxiation that kills you (eventually) is supposedly a nasty way to go (it would be, coming from the Romans) and that means it'd have to be someone very special - no point wasting that on just anyone.

The Merkins have a dead President's day, and a Martin Luther King day, I think both are national holidays.

I would propose we have our own "Prime Minister's Day" as a National Holiday. One problem - I fear we don't have enough dead PMs yet. So, starting with the present one, and working back, we should execute one each year until we run out (Brown, Blair, Major, Maggie will prob be dead by then) and after that - simple - execute whoever is the sitting PM after a year in Office. This would encourage only those who really really want the job to apply, and would also encourage the crops to grow, sun to rise, winter to end, etc. It should be done in public, preferably in a large stadium such as Twickers, and tickets sold to offset the National Debt. It's a winner!
  10. £ S d
  11. Apart from sanitation and aquaducts.
  12. what so you're nominating me?

bugger :(
  13. I thought that was king Offa who gave us that.

So should we have a "What have the Mercians ever done for us?" thread? It will be full of infantry types from the middle bit of England telling us how great their regiments before amalgamation were.
  14. And lead poisoning, through the use of powdered lead as a sweetener. Apparently.
  15. Invented fora...

Understand? Now, write it out a hundred times.

And if it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.