What have I missed out on?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by PetrovthePrat, Oct 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just posted in an other forum and it got me thinking. Maybe the NAAFI isn't the wisest place to post this, but here goes. I'm 28, married and working in an office, providing telecommunication support to the emergency services. I've a management role, it's pretty well paid given my educational level. Before that I was an EMT (Ambulance crew) for 5 years. I enjoyed it, it was more a lifestyle then just a job. From chatting with ex serving, both Irish and British I think there's a lot similarities between the two jobs, same humour and banter. We even had our own version of ALLY! All in all, I've had a fun and fufilling life and I'm happy with were I am now.
    But when I was 19 I was all set to join up. A civilan job I really wanted came up and I decided against it. Now while I sit here with my liberally poured Jameson, I'm wondering what did I miss out on? Now, I don't mean that as "what could the forces ever have done for me,sneery sneery upturned nose", more "what rewarding and weird stuff could I have enjoyed".

2. what do you want posted? haven't you already thought about what could have been better, more exciting and thought about what you've actually contributed.

Be happy that you that you've made a difference, the rose tinted glasses that hint at hindsight don't always work. You chose not to join up, thats not a failing its a life choice.

3. "what do you want posted? haven't you already thought about what could have been better, more exciting and thought about what you've actually contributed.

Be happy that you that you've made a difference, the rose tinted glasses that hint at hindsight don't always work. You chose not to join up, thats not a failing its a life choice. "

Yea, I've done the navel gazing thing, this thread was meant more as a semi humorous semi reflective look at what the lads and ladesses in green have gotten up to. I never really regretted not joining up, just sort of curious how it could have went. As you said about being glad I made I differance, I did in my own small way, and I bet the forces give a lot of scope for that too. Balls, I can't articulate the location of my toes right now, never mind the abstract "bleh" I was getting at here.

4. Shag your sister in law.Post on Youtube.That will ensure your life is never dull again.

5. The voice of experience speaking? :) Is she your avatarse? If so, half your luck!

6. You can put the image on your brand new tee shirt if you like!

7. What a splendid idea, very sporting of you! It will serve as a constant reminder of yet another good sort that I'll never have my snuffling, stoatish way with. The discreet suffering will build character.