what has the TA ever done for us?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by olleyuk, Jun 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The role of the TA cannot be underestimated. My great grandad was in the TA before ww1 and was deployed to the western front in 1915. He went on to serve for the duration. Interestingly, the TA were the backbone of the army in 1915 as the finest army ever to have left these shores was all but knocked out in 1914 saving France.

My grandad was a TA soldier pre WW2 and was part of the expeditionary force evacuated from dunkirk. He went on to serve with distinction and was mentioned in dispatches for actions crossing the Escaut canal.

It's worth bearing in mind that the TA has made a significant contribution in the past and plenty of blokes are doing their bit now.
  2. It's also worth pointing out the TA is full of reprobate hobbyists that like to play dress up. They should all be burned alive, then the funds invested into something more worthwhile like Overseas Aid that actually helps us project real power and influence on the world stage.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Please ignite yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  4. to where does one begin ?
  5. Given regular soldiers a bit of a cushy posting with the chance to finger TA birds easily impressed by made up war stories.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Odd that an organisation that is the backbone of the Army develops so many bad backs when the drums begin to beat.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Some of my best kit came from the TA, in exchange for my washed out and worn out crap...
  8. All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order...

What have the TA ever done for us?

Sorry, I meant
    what have the Romans done for us?
  9. without STABS, TELIC was lost, REGS playing trumpton, poo poo and thrice poo
  10. Well that's ARABS for you...
  11. Brecon, breaking Hindenburg line, rear guard at Dunkirk, battle of Britain, d day, el alemain, alcoholism, divorce and new wife
    • Like Like x 1
  12. What has the TA ever done for us?

1. Provided enough soldiers to drag the average IQ across the army to above moron levels

2. Given manufacturers of size XXL combat trousers a viable market

3. Provided many a third rate 20 year SSgt & CSgt with a cushy, pension boosting WO2 PSI posting
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Maybe its time to call time on the TA then. We can all put our kit in and get another hobby, this would free up more slots for regular soldiers to go on ops. And if the regular army was a bit short maybe they could merge with the navy or RAF. Just a thought, but it s an idea that might go down well with some of the posters on here.

And to the op, well done your grandad sounds like he was a top bloke!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I bet that the majority of currently serving posters on arrse are TA. Just behind the bitter old fashioned ex regs that can't bare the fact that they are suddenly nobody. And just above the wannabes, the kiddy fiddlers and walty did-2-weeks-of-basics-in-1980 types that know so much about everything.

Not that I give a ****.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Give me headache everyday at work

Munch Me