Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What has improved in the TA in the last 10 years?

Cardinal said:
beastmaster24_7 said:
? ALL SAID AND DONE YOU OLDER GUYS MAY BE WITHERED AND SLOW BUT HOW ARE WE KIDS OFF THE STREET GONNA LEARN IF YOU DONT TEACH US FROM YOUR DECADES OF EXPERIENCE.

ITS ALL WELL AND GOOD STANDING THERE SAYING 'YOU NEED TO GET OFF TO AFGAN OR IRAQ' BUT WE NEED TO BE FIT TO FIGHT SURELY BEFORE BEING FIT FOR ROLE (OR FITTER THAT U COFFIN DODGERS).

I'M ALL READY FOR ANY ON THE GROUND TRAINING U GUYS WILL THROUGH AT ME COZ, IF I'M GOING ON TOUR I WANNA BE READY.

FITNESS IS IMPORTANT BUT ITS AS MUCH AN INDIVIDUAL THING AS AT UNIT LEVEL IF PEOPLE DONT LIKE SALAD THEY WILL DODGE IT!!!

PIE AN CHIPS FOR TEA IT IS THEN.

You left your caps lock on.

Cardinal
u left yours off!

beastmaster if you would listen then you might learn!!!!!!!
oh and looks like you've left a 'r' off 'you' just before position in your signature.

Wingletang said:
I've got it!

its the 'Opportunity to mobilise'!

You see, I knew I'd get there in the end......

Because, of course, nobody ever mobilised before TELIC...

msr

Few things:

1. Comms 10 years ago, almost no-one had a mobile phone.

2. Health and Safety didn't exist "when I were a lad"

3. Greater respect from the ARABs hmm...

PB

Edited to add: Oops, I nearly forgot pay.

PassingBells said:
Few things:

But the TA can't really claim credit for that

PassingBells said:

Is training safer? Or just almost too hard to put together? Does a generic risk assessment really help? Have you been trained in how to write one?

PassingBells said:

PB

msr said:
PassingBells said:
Few things:

But the TA can't really claim credit for that

No, but it has improved.

PassingBells said:

Is training safer? Or just almost too hard to put together? Does a generic risk assessment really help? Have you been trained in how to write one?

Don't ask difficult questions, and I don't have any statistics in front of me, but I suspect that the safety aspect of training is a more significant aspect of training planning than it was in the mid 1990s.

PassingBells said:

PB

My bold.

beastmaster24_7 said:
Cardinal said:
beastmaster24_7 said:
? ALL SAID AND DONE YOU OLDER GUYS MAY BE WITHERED AND SLOW BUT HOW ARE WE KIDS OFF THE STREET GONNA LEARN IF YOU DONT TEACH US FROM YOUR DECADES OF EXPERIENCE.

ITS ALL WELL AND GOOD STANDING THERE SAYING 'YOU NEED TO GET OFF TO AFGAN OR IRAQ' BUT WE NEED TO BE FIT TO FIGHT SURELY BEFORE BEING FIT FOR ROLE (OR FITTER THAT U COFFIN DODGERS).

I'M ALL READY FOR ANY ON THE GROUND TRAINING U GUYS WILL THROUGH AT ME COZ, IF I'M GOING ON TOUR I WANNA BE READY.

FITNESS IS IMPORTANT BUT ITS AS MUCH AN INDIVIDUAL THING AS AT UNIT LEVEL IF PEOPLE DONT LIKE SALAD THEY WILL DODGE IT!!!

PIE AN CHIPS FOR TEA IT IS THEN.

You left your caps lock on.

Cardinal
u left yours off!

I dont need to shout to make a point.

Cardinal

Wait out - I left TA INF a little over ten years ago (moved o'erseas for work) but am now about to attempt to get back in. Might be well placed to answer this thread in a few weeks. Yes, so, I'll er, shut up for now, then...

msr said:

Training at the hands of the less competent has been made safer - at the cost of paperwork for the people who were already safe anyway.

I can think of an exercise one pretty hot summer in 1986 where three of our 8-man section went down with heat injury (and for the last two I mean "went down", not "oooh, I'm a bit clammy").

This was reflected across a rifle company's worth of UOTC OCdts. One lass ended up in the local mil hospital for 72hrs, having been in a really bad way (she'd been pulled into Coy HQ for the section/platoon attack phase, because people were worried about her. She then thought to help out the rest of her platoon by single-handedly filling in their trenches, as dug by a mechanical digger. She'd finished three of them before they spotted her and dragged her back into the shade).

Briefings? Nope. Extra water, or frequent replen? Nope. One water bottle, for a day of section and platoon attacks in direct sunlight, in 30C-ish temperatures (OK, I was a smug git whose entire "kit freak" purchase consisted of a second '58-patt water bottle and pouch).

The exercise director (the training major) was a tw*t of a cavalryman - INNIS DG, if I'm right - who just didn't get it. Writing even a basic risk assessment might have meant that he laid on some more water....

...although I have my doubts...