What has happened to respect for our fallen comrades ?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by WincoSlayer, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Yes, you are an old outdated fool

2. No, I aggree with your sentiments wholeheartedly

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I attended a Remembrance Church service today in Tidworth and was astonished to see some of the lack of respect that a few of my fellow officers showed during the service. Along with the 'usual' chatting to each other during the service and not standing to attention during the Last Post or National Anthem, I was amazed to see a young Capt Gunner in the congregation who chewed gum during THE WHOLE SERVICE :x
    What is going on in the officer Corps ? Is 'respect' a dirty word now ?
    And before anyone makes the quip - yes, I should have remonstrated with him at the time, but I wanted to believe that he would do 'the right thing' at some stage in the service.
    Maybe it was different 20 years ago when I joined :? ...
  2. Although voting with the majority, I can remember church parade as being a time of a quick chat and general looking around (but definitely not chewing, unless the lad was on Nicorettes). However, the CO or Adjutant would take an interest and the guilty few gripped.
    Perhaps this no longer happens? Were the CO and Adjt there? Perhaps too many with a future (for that's what they are) are too busy looking up than down (to quote de la Billier).
    Extras all round!
  3. It's a sign of the times. The army and it's recruits are a reflection of English society in General. Without a major positive change in English society (which I dont think will happen) things will just carry on going down hill. A sence of pride and honour is needed, but I feel that era has gone & is probaly lost forever.
  4. This came to me as result of my Padres Flag thread. Had been bit cautious about repeating it but I suppose it is a point of view
  5. I also attended a service today and the amount of guys, SNCO's included, who stood chewing gum was embarassing. I'm out now but wanted to show my respect with the Corps I served with. What a mistake.

What ever happened to commanders briefing guys before marching them to church. 50% of the lads didn't even have the full no2 dress on.

One (ex slop) LE Capt was the only person to grip the guys at the end.
  6. It's not as if Remembrance Sunday's a new thing is it? I mean, it's been "celebrated" (for want of a better word) since just after WWI! So you could say that it's become a part of UK tradition.

If that's the case (and I very much hope it is), is its observance and the traditions it encompasses not a part of the normal UK school currriculum?

Confused of Bannaigh-a-gHoerph. :D :D :D

PS. The question itself is absolutely genuine!
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I'm sure it isn't - the children will be too busy learning about how bad the Empire was, and so on - taught in many, many languages by teachers in veils.

On a serious note, I think that teaching children about war and remembrance is important. Perhaps if more attention was paid to it, those who have come from overseas, or whose family life remains non-British would have a better understanding of what the country and its society is about.
  8. I dont think teachers will be allowed to say anything positive about the British Empire. The way the media talks about the British Empire and all the none white countries it governed, you'd think it had been led by the love child of Stalin & Hitler (if that was at all possible).

Even to say something positive about the British Empire would mark you out as some sort of fascist to many people in modern day England. I often say very positive things about England and the old British Empire, but I know in saying such things what the (PC) Blairite view of me would be... :roll:
  11. Dear AngianGuard: I hardly think that Phoney Tony and his band of crooks are likely to pull up me personally for any "positive" utterances about the "British Empire" (me being Irish and such), but there could be some truth to what you're saying about them clocking us. I mean, who knows?

*Bugsy dons Bacofoil hat*

Edited to add: I see your point and difficulty with the quotes! Sorry about that!
  12. our service was ruined by the screams and howls of legions of pads brats. time and a place and all that.
  13. Well, that's a very novel approach, asr1! Care to elucidate?

14. if the little rats are too young to be able to keep quiet and not cry/gurgle/sing/scream throughout then they should be at home.
  15. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Whilst at JHQ a few years ago I recall the Remembrance service being advertised as unsuitable for very young children and a creche was provided, and yet still the two minute silence was broken by the constant wailing of a toddler, which interruption was remarked upon with disapprobation by the Minister.

Last year, at Lisburn, the entire service was punctuated by the screams and tiresome chatter of two or three small urchins, whose parents seemed utterly unable or unwilling to control them. Clearly small children do not appreciate either the solemnity of the occasion, or the deep importance it has for some people; I do not think it unreasonable for them to be excluded.

Even though, through choice, I do not have children, I do not think it unreasonable to expect parents to control their spawn if they have no cellar and must bring them.

On the other hand, perhaps we should applaud all who turn up, children or no, since some seem to view it as no more than an interruption to their Sunday routine of shopping.