What Happens?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by UKChrisT, Dec 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right,

I've had nearly a month and a half now to get my fitness up to the required standard, however I do still seem to struggle on the press up's. I'm asked to do 44 in two minutes but I can only seem to be able to do 20/24 at a push which is beginning to annoy me a bit. My sit up's are fine and the 1/5 run is ok aswell. I've got 14 days till selection and to be honest I don't see myself being able to do the rest of those press up's. Do you know if they'll fail me for it or would I get passed aslong as I can complete the run?

It's just them press up's holding me back abit.
  2. msr

msr LE

The best way to improve is to do 10 every hour during the day. That way, you get to do 100 per day and will soon ace the 44.

Another solution is to do 13 in 30 seconds, then 12 in the next 30 seconds, then 11 in the next 30 seconds and 10 in the last 30 seconds.

3. Yes take a break, they won't fail you as long as you give best effort on the day. Do as many as you can when ever you can just keep doing them if you get a spare moment. I still struggle to do 50 don't forget to break them up it does make it easier rather than doing them all in one go. i'm told that do as many as you can half that number then do 3 reps of that.
    so say you can only do 30 pressups do three sets of 15 reps.
    best of luck (And rest the week before as you won't be pooped out)
  4. Whenever you are watching tele and an ad break comes on get and the floor and do a set of 10 or so.
  5. Cheers guys,

6 days till selection :D

Abit better on my press up's now, took the advice and have been doing 10 + press ups every opportunity i've had.

I'll let you know how it goes,

6. Whenever you go for a piss or enter a new room, bang out a few 10-20, but make sure during the day you do at least 3 sets of 20 repetitions of pressups, this will build you up, it worked for me.
  7. seconded. Ive also started going for long runs on a sunday to avoid having to watch the hollyoaks omnibus with arbyette. Training By TV. Thats what I want to see in MATT2.
  8. would you guys recommend the same solution for sit-ups,
    i done ok with pressups (48) but the sit-ups (24) and the bleep test (8.8) i was crap we didn't do the run as it was dark and raining
    i have started going down a gym but ive only been running on a tread mill would you recommend running on the street or round a park?
    any help is great
  9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

A lot of people find running boring,tedious and no fun.
    Even if it's only to pass TA selection , for Forces people running is (pretty near) unavoidable.....so grin and bear it. And remember, a volunteer is worth ten pressed men any day !

Some useful tips on the Runners World website - check this out for starters.

Good luck.

Le Chevre
  10. someone suggested mixing it up between hard ground and soft to rest the muscles and joints. My kneecaps are like wispas so I do a fair bit of soft ground stuff.
  11. i didn't have a TA selection per se but we had a bit of PT on the day i did the medical, and i did the PFT on the second to last parade night before christmas, i thought i'd do better on the sit ups than press-ups,
  12. And get an mp3 player too. You can get really cheap ones that hold a few hundred songs and will fit in pockets without taking up too much space. Makes a lot of difference when running for more than 30 minutes.
  13. I've never been able to do more than 25 press ups in a session. Unless things have changed, I can't see it making any difference. Army are short of men at the moment
  14. well im hoping in a year or two or even this summer of attempting selection for the regs depends how my fitness plan goes
  15. I think aslong as you can do the run they wont fail you, so I have been told previously. But obviously if they see you not giving it enough they might consider failing you, i'm going to bust my gut all next weekend. Just hope I pass I don't fancy waiting till march for the next selection.