What happens when the furlough ends...

Businesses have been hit by this and whilst support from the government has been viable in the form of paying each business upto a cap of £2400 per worker per month this isn't viable long term and never has been, businesses are going to be expected to foot the bill now come October when the furlough comes to its stop

Eye watering debt all ready and already getting bigger

Well, for a start Businesses have been hit hard, especially ltd companies, I see a wave of redundancies oncoming as businesses find way to become more money-savvy as the recession digs in and anyone forecasting like people businesses going to be perhaps desiring to shake up a little bit? Obviously life isn't going to the same for a long while.

I have 2 uncles whom work for British Airways; both are baggage handlers whilst one also is cross-trained as a flight attendant, I'm not sure what's going to happent to them (not that it's my concern)

Virgin are already slashing 1,000 staff, the RM boss has jumped ship, JCB announces 950 jobs at risk as coronavirus crisis halves demand

Will we see alot of the following?

Get rid of non-essential personnel
Re-train staff to fill other roles
0 hour contracts
Corporate mergers
Increased volume selling
Higher import tariffs

This is the biggest recession oncoming ever and will hit everybody; price of a pint going up, cigarettes, petrol, diesel and generally tax everywhere

Chancellor extends UK furlough scheme until end of October

U.K. Plans End of Furlough Support

Last edited:
When the furlough ends, I imagine millions of people will have to put their grown up clothes back on and head out to earn their living again, rather than just sitting around all day wanking and eating expensive German biscuits.

No wonder the Unions are so against people having to go back to work.

When the furlough ends, I imagine millions of people will have to put their grown up clothes back on and head out to earn their living again, rather than just sitting around all day wanking and eating expensive German biscuits.

But... social distancing... :eek:

Obviously, but as someone who runs a small retail business this is also creating oppertunities through innovation and enterprise; volume selling, some businesses may have to downsize or scale down their operations due to simply desiring less neccessary expenditure, I for one will have to concentrate on "less for more rather than more for less" as part of my business model, and because I import abroad will have to bring in higher amounts with increased trade tariffs on goods, there will need to be a solution for everything.

Emergency workers have guarenteed job security, not quite sure why people are whinging they have recieved a pay freeze (like everyone else oh but they are heroes... doing their job you mean?)

mcphee1948

War Hero
....... rather than just sitting around all day wanking and eating expensive German biscuits.
I take exception to that. I haven't been eating any German biscuits

I can see the furlough regime continuing in some form (perhaps at a reduced rate if necessary) until effective antibody testing is well established. At that time, companies will be expected to continue normal operations with staff who have been confirmed to have had coronavirus and have no, or minimal, risk of further contracting the virus or passing it on. For them, social distancing will be a thing of the past.

I would hope that companies that reduce their workforce get clobbered with paying back the government's furlough payments as this money wasn't aimed at maintaining workers' wages but to ensure that their jobs were protected.

For them, social distancing will be a thing of the past.
Don’t count on that.....The USN has just released a report that sailors from the USS Rosevelt who had already gone through having the virus and returned to duty a month later have come down with it a second time. There are 5 so far who tested negative over a two week period after having recovered that are now hospitalized.

mcphee1948

War Hero
Well you know what sailors are. Once they got off the ship on shore leave, they probably went straight into town and exposed themselves to massive viral overloads. Serves them right.

Her in HK we haven't had any strict lockdown.

Government advice was work from home if you can and any non essential staff should not be forced to come in.
Much of the civil service and all schools, universities and facilities such as sports and recreation have been closed. No big events, obviously and bars (not restaurants) closed for 4 weeks.

Other than that life has gone on as normal. Transport works, shops are open and the centre of town is busy, although less so than normal.

Everyone wears a mask and washes hands frequently. All office buildings, and many shops and restaurants, check your temperature before you are allowed in. As do the building sites which have kept working.

4 deaths

It works

mcphee1948

War Hero
Perhaps it worked in HK, but the people there are intelligent, self-disciplined and sensible. Or so I believe.

But that's not the case in the UK. Most people here are, not to put too fine a point on it, as thick as planks.

So they won't wear masks, wash their hands frequently, or do anything else in any way sensible.

They'll just get the virus, and blame the government. It's the British way.

Perhaps it worked in HK, but the people there are intelligent, self-disciplined and sensible. Or so I believe.

But that's not the case in the UK. Most people here are, not to put too fine a point on it, as thick as planks.

So they won't wear masks, wash their hands frequently, or do anything else in any way sensible.

I've lived in India and the pandemic isn't hitting so much as here, probably because the people actually HAVE to listen to the police, because if they don't they get a luttee aka wooden pole around the back of their legs or get bashed up senseless like illustrated here, peope here generally don't respect the authority of the police as much which is frustrating

I prefer Scottish shortbread with my coffee
And they sell then in Lidl- a German retailer. Walkers ones, the best.

Walkers, you know where to send my commission, to the usual offshore PO box.

Edit,

They're made by Tower Gate, but still from Scotland.

Commission to the usual PO Box, blah, blah.

Last edited:

sadly, I absolutely agree with you. Still, they will learn the hard way and then next time, and there will be a next time, maybe they will be more sensible

Lots of changes coming I’d say re headcount reduction for five reasons:
  • change in working practice.
  • Reduction in the size of property portfolios.
  • Acceleration of on line shopping.
  • Automation technologies.
  • reduced demand for products and services
These issues will hit all sizes of businesses in all market sectors. I’d say we will see a 5-10% reduction in workforce over the next 3 years. Could be bigger but I don’t think it will be smaller.

if furlough ends and companies are not generating sufficient revenues to cover salary costs then staff will be made redundant. For those businesses unable to cover redundancy costs, they will go into administration or closure.

it’s not going to be nice in Q4 this year.

Old-Salt
Furlough encouraged no working for a large payment at government funding. There was/is no assistance for the employer to keep someone working.

When furlough ends if there is not sufficient footfall and spend to keep a business going then there will be redundancies. Many businesses in February would probably have said that they needed 75% of sales to break even and then the rest went towards investing in the business and profit. If the footfall and sales are now less that that 75% then it will not be worth opening and trading at a loss. There may be little funds left to support trading at a loss for any period in the hope of an upturn.

As I said, there is no assistance to keep anyone working. If the business is driven into loss the statutory redundancy still has to be paid to any employees if you close, so that brings forward the date of closing as you have to allow for that before burning through your remaining cash.

This is not going to be a pretty period as we transition back to work. When shopping malls have reduced footfall because of social distancing/ access control of numbers it will probably spell the end for their tenants as it will be uneconomic to open.

Still, they will learn the hard way and then next time, and there will be a next time, maybe they will be more sensible
Dear Lord, all those years overseas really have made you lose touch with the motherland, haven't they?

Businesses have been hit by this and whilst support from the government has been viable in the form of paying each business upto a cap of £2400 per worker per month this isn't viable long term and never has been, businesses are going to be expected to foot the bill now come October when the furlough comes to its stop

Eye watering debt all ready and already getting bigger

Well, for a start Businesses have been hit hard, especially ltd companies, I see a wave of redundancies oncoming as businesses find way to become more money-savvy as the recession digs in and anyone forecasting like people businesses going to be perhaps desiring to shake up a little bit? Obviously life isn't going to the same for a long while.

I have 2 uncles whom work for British Airways; both are baggage handlers whilst one also is cross-trained as a flight attendant, I'm not sure what's going to happent to them (not that it's my concern)

Virgin are already slashing 1,000 staff, the RM boss has jumped ship, JCB announces 950 jobs at risk as coronavirus crisis halves demand

Will we see alot of the following?

Get rid of non-essential personnel
Re-train staff to fill other roles
0 hour contracts
Corporate mergers
Increased volume selling
Higher import tariffs

This is the biggest recession oncoming ever and will hit everybody; price of a pint going up, cigarettes, petrol, diesel and generally tax everywhere

Chancellor extends UK furlough scheme until end of October

U.K. Plans End of Furlough Support

It's quite simple: hundreds of thousands will find themselves unemployed.

Business is paying 80% of salary then claiming an allowance back,
There's still NI & Holiday pay to find, all with no / limited income going though the business

We've had £10k of small business rate relief, but BP & I are self employed, we've expecting £1200 & £1600 to be paid shortly, but have drawn no salary from the business.

We have a rented building, a rented car, the normally utility bills. The bank a/c is slowly running down, eventually it will eat though the overdraft

Personally I've been in the odd position of working alone, at height, doing stuff which really should have 2 men to handle safely.... all for no wages (maybe jam tomorrow ?)

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Out of all of us the one with the best opportunity is @Kirkz . His boss has just quit so he must be a shoe-in. Rico Back is on gardening leave with pay of £480,000 a month for 9 months ! Get in there @Kirkz !!!!!! :boogie: :dance:

Latest Threads