What happens to MPs when voted out?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by supermatelot, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What happens to them? Are they officially unemployed or do they still get some form of other payable employment within their party?
    Is it the xase that last week several were on 50 odd grand a year but are now wondering how to pay next month's mortgage?

Have always wondered that.

2. They get a severance payment and a winding up allowance for their offices, i think it works out at about a years salary. Then its off to the headhunters and later the social security office ....

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I doubt the kids will go without food somehow.

4. That's closer to the truth than you think.

The locks on the offices of losing MPs are being changed on Sunday. New MPs will be moving in from Monday.

The winding up allowance is mainly consumed by staff redundancy and buying out the leases on constituency offices etc.

IIRC the severance payment is six months salary. Not much when you consider that many of them relied on expenses to fund lavish lifestyles including dual mortgages. Some of them are to have severance payments withheld due to expense fiddling and so find themselves in difficulty. What a tragedy.

I read some comments from a head hunter a while ago. She reckoned that while ex ministers will get directorships and lobbying jobs, many of the back benchers will have trouble finding work. There are just so many of them on the job market.

Remind me again, what is it that my heart pumps?

5. As said above they won’t starve

Trough

6. Ministers are entitled to three months salary as severance pay.

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

That's presumably 3 months of their Ministerial pay - which is in addition to their MP's wage?

The Ministers will also lose official cars, free travel, etc., so you have to feel sorry for them.

NOT!

8. With the rise of the 'Professional Politician' (who went from school, to college, to uni to a local politics support job to MP) there is far more chance of someone who has never been near a real world job remaining unemployed for a considerable period of time. They are literally qualified for nothing.

9. It must be dreadful having to sell the 2nd home 8O

10. Most of them go back to their little business interests and make lots of money, that is after selling their memoirs to any mug who will buy them!

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It used to be that Tories went back to work in the city and Labour ones were supported by the union that sponsored them. Now as neither of the types have held real jobs as most were crap lawyers/pr people they will struggle hopefully!
    Serves them right for binning earnings related benefits.

12. More to the point, what about the MPs who haven't been voted out?

In particular, the Honourable Member for Kircaldy and Cowdenbeath, Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP.

Parliament opened for business on Monday. Broon should have been down to Kircaldy railway station first thing on Monday morning for a second class ticket to London. They'll be waiting to allocate his backbencher's office in the basement. Then he can get on with dealing with his constituent's problems with council tax and council house toilets that wont flush.

Welcome to your new career Gordon. You're now dealing with the sh1te house rather than the White House.

13. Just watching BBC News and Lord Mandleson has been seen cycling on a fold up bike trying to balance his laptop :p

14. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Their pension isn't too shabby either, once they've done a few terms.