What happens of the Maoists win in Nepal?

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by Pteranadon, Feb 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a thought. If the Maoists win, would they maintain the treaty? Would it have anmy affect on the Gurkhas serving?

2. Last year I had to assist a former Gurkha soldier who works at the same place as me, draft a letter to his boss asking for special leave.

Basically his father lives up in a village that is now under direct threat from the Maoists. Apparently based on previous experience of occassions when the enemy has held villages for short periods, almost all former British Army Gurkhas (including his father) are on the list for immediate execution as enemies of the people.

The leave was for him to travel to Nepal in order to relocate his father and other family member to Kathmandu.

He got the leave as his boss (a former British Lt Col) recognised the threat to his father as being very real.

3. In the 1970s I recall Gurkha soldiers discussing the merits of Maoism (then prevalent in China) over whatever passed for a political system in the India of that time. Several Gurkhas were more than a little enthused over Mao's teachings - I laughed indulgently! I often wonder if that particular Sgt is now the Maoist Commissar for Gorkha.

4. I do not think that the current monarchist system in Nepal serves the average Nepalese very well. I can well understand the attraction for the Maoist beliefs by the average Nepali. Perhaps, we should all laugh indulgently about people who are have no real options in their life beyond a subsistence economy - but then again freedom in the US is having a McD within a five minute drive.

5. Whoa bianchi! The Gurkhas I recall discussing Maoism in the 1970s were recently returned from a vacation in Switzerland prior to that they had provided the Guard at Buckingham Palace. The indulgent laughter was at the incongruity of Johnny G extolling the virtues of Maoism while serving a foreign monarchy waging a cold war (apart from the hot bits in Malaya and Korea) against...Maoism. While not surprised at the social upheaval in Nepal I can not condone the Maoist MO, e.g. forced recruitment of children, execution of those who do not share their views etc.

6. I note the issue here. It does seem incredibly incongruous. The Gurkhas I have talked to recently are becoming less than content with the developing situation in their homeland and increasingly, they look to the UK for their post-pension life. Such a change from the attitudes of only a few years ago. I think that Gurkhas are nervous of the potential in Nepal. Maoists are becoming a force to be regarded.

My worry is that the monarchy seems to locked into a self destruct mode and are losing the support of the ordinary people. Under these circumstances, it is not surprising that the Maoist cause will seem more attractive.

7. Re; "..increasingly look to the UK for their post-pension life." Have any Gurkhas enlisted in British (non Gurkha) units?

One possible solution to the army recruiting problem would be to recruit Nepalese of the same caste/class/tribe as enlist in Gurkha units directly into the regular British army similar to Fijians, West Indians, etc. Just a thought!

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I met three Nepalese lads in 1 RRF in Iraq a little while back. I think that two of them had been born in Britain and the other in India (so Commonwealth entry then?). They all had that same Asian courtesy as I'd got from Gurkhas, but not the same commitment to full service. Both the Brit born lads indicated a desire to leave after their 6 year point.

9. Given their backgrounds and the likelihood they can settle in the UK I don't find that too surprising. It's the considerable attraction of a pension which would allow them to live extremely comfortably in Nepal which motivates Nepalese boys to join the Gurkhas. What happens if the anti-monarchists prevail is anyone's guess. If the Maoists come out on top I don't think the current treaty stands much chance of surviving.

10. Nepalese serving in Indian Gorkha and Brit Gurkha units contribute enormously to the Nepalese economy I doubt very much if the Maoists (given that some of their number are probably ex Gurkhas/Gorkhas) would put an end to the current system.
    We often forget there are over 40 Gorkha infantry Bns in the Indian army - more infantry than the British army have in total, that is a tremendous raison d'etre.

11. Busterdog you may be right, only time will tell however these are purist Moaists (fundermentalists if you like) . There is an equal chance they will accept any financial detriment rather than alter their beliefs. There is also a seperate question and that is would the UK Govt be prepared to continue with the treaty with a Moaist Govt, particularly one that had just overthrown a monarchy?

12. I stay out of this fourm but the Maoist thread could not fail to catch my attention.
    The one comment that I will say a few word on is
    "..increasingly look to the UK for their post-pension life."

We have a retired Brit Gurkha officer here, Lt. Col. and he commented that there are now more Gurkhas in Hong Kong then there ever where when it was a UK coloney, the children of former Gurkha soldiers.
    They grew up in Hong Kong most have never seen Nepal and many have turned into 'Asian Chavs' ( My expression).
    The Gurkhas I served with in 79-80 where not the Gurkhas my fathers generation in WW II when they saved his life. I would not have been born but for them.
    Everyone looks for a better way of life, that is nature of man.
    john

13. I have to agree with Birdie. Did the Cultural Revolution make any sense in terms of the future development and prosperity of the PRC? Clearly not - but it happened anyway. Same in Cambodia in the mid 1970s. You should not expect Zealots to make sensible decisions that might conflict with their beliefs.

14. in a further answer to busterdogs question of gurkhas joining the british army direct, the simple answer is yes. i am a instructor at ATR(P) and every week you will see at least one gurkha in the new intake predominantly joing the RLC or REME .

Most of these are either british or hong kong based, and on asking why they joined a corps rather than the brigade simple answer was, they get to do 18 yrs now as new system not 22, instead of 15 and they can settle in uk at end of career and the entry procedure was a lot easier than to join the brigade.

As an add on most of them do make it through phase 1 and pass out i have no idea how they fair in phase 2 with the technical side of their training, may be some one out there does.

15. Please clarify this one
    So can a Nepalese man who's living in nepal apply to join a corps direct from Nepal and then be employed on standard rates of pay then retire over here?
    How about if he applies while visiting Britian?