What happens if you stay awake for too long?

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Little_Lion_Man, Dec 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've now been awake for 30 hours straight, and I'm interested to know the effects. It's not deliberate sleep deprivation, but I'm curious what happens. Currently I'm experiencing hyperactivtity, noticing tits in spelling errors, lack of co-ordination, and a feeling akin to that of being pished. Catchy name for the new forum by the way.

2. Get in your car right now and head to the Motorway.

3. Good idea. Also, open to unwise suggestions. That's why I've eaten the cat.

4. You fall asleep.

5. When I was on the final ex of my JNCOs Cadre I found the next bit you'll be suffering is hallucinations. At one stage I swear I could see steps in front of me and tried to walk up them accordingly. But seeing as my section were yomping over Holming Beam towards Okehampton there were no steps within about 15 kms.

6. Not with you present.

7. It becomes harder to control what you say, you'll find your brain and mouth don't interact with each other properly.

You will find you listen to advice from anyone. And then do exactly the opposite of what you're advised.

At least you know Whet won't pop in to answer this question. Longest he's been awake is 20 minutes at a stretch.

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I start to hallucinate after a while.

9. Worst case scenario? Death.

10. Best thing to eat BTW is chips, get the chip pan on.

11. I am not sure how much truth was in it but was told that about now you should receive an adrenaline kick, could be why your hyperactive? Other than that the only thing I was told is that you can never, ever recover lost sleep. Not sure what that bit meant though.

12. That's why he should take immediate steps and put the chip pan on to make some chips.

13. You die.

there was an inhumane experiment with rats and an unstable floating island in a pool of cold war.
    The rat couldnt sleep without falling into the water, it lasted less than a week.

14. Inhumane? Surely it's preferable to using Jews?

15. And lay down looking at the ceiling immediately after putting the chip pan on.