What happens if someone is stood down from a deployment at short notice?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by carlyshaw1, Aug 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My partner, in the TA for 10 years, was due to deploy to Afghanistan in the next few weeks. This would have been his 2nd voluntary mobilisation in 2 years. He has been with his unit for 2 months in the UK and now has been told to stand down.
    Does anyone know what the rules are around this? Does the army have a duty to give him employment elsewhere till the end of his original deployment period, or are they within their rights to terminate his mobilisation?

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Doesn't that rather depend upon the reasons for the Stand Down?

3. msr

msr LE

Has he actually been mobilised or merely warned for ops? If not mobilised then tough titty.

msr

4. He did passed through RTMC 2 months ago and has been with his unit since then. I believe he and 4 others have been stood down as the jobs have been subsumed into a new unit. I just wondered if there was any hard, fast general rule.
    Thank you.

5. msr

msr LE

He would need to check the small print on the contract he signed and, as Gremlin rightly observes, the reasons.

msr

6. Thank you both! Will advise... Cheers.

7. As he volunteered, he presumably wants to deploy. I would hope that his unit are doing what they can to still get him away on ops in another role / with another unit. Obviously depends on his cap badge and skill set as to how realistic this is.

8. I'd have thought RTMC would know what posts were available. I'm also suprised his unit is dumping warm bodies. can't believe someone thinks that they don't need the bodies

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Units will often send more through RTMC than they need/can accept. If they don't then the usual wastage incurred by people having G1 issues, being injured on MST etc will result in a shortfall. From memory, it is around 2 names taken per job to be filled, which will end up being between 1.25 to 1.5 per job by the time they get to RTMC, leaving hopefully around 1 person per job once through RTMC and trained at unit.

However, a unit can only deploy to the number of PIDs it has. If everyone who mobilises makes it through the training package intact, then some people may have to be stood down or jobs found for them elsewhere. This assumes that they are all of the quality required forthe role they were mobilised to do.

10. Just puzzled. I've never done a tour with a fully manned Infantry unit and we could have done with a few extra bodies during the R&R plot. On my second tour I got dumped with 6 man to do guard on a site for a week and left there as there was nobody spare to start swapping around. Ended up a nice little number ;-)

Or is the whole "Hard limit" on bodies incountry biting hard ?

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The hard limit has always applied. The cynic in me says that not all relevant facts have been posted on here. The theory is that more people can be mobilised than PIDs available - especially is there are lots of people taken "at risk". If you have one job to fill, accept the 3 fatties and demobilise the 2 worst salad dodgers just before flying out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

This occurs with some regularity: RTMC will be able to advise in more detail. The only difficulty that occurs, at least from an Army viewpoint, is if they have come to the usual (statutory) arrangement to pay an employer any costs of covering for a mobilised employee. In that case, some companies want to keep on their Temp, and keep getting the MOD money, for the 'normal' mobilisation period - when this happens, the Army usually finds the Soldier something else to do (that is related to the Op in question - see below).

If this is not the case, it is common enough for the period of mobilisation to be terminated by the Army. There is no appeal against this. If they don't want/need someone, they'll just let them go. People are only mobilised in support of specific Ops, and if not needed for that, cannot legally be kept on the books. Check out the Rereve Forces Act for details.

13. No idea on the rules, however there is also a moral (and indeed morale) side to the issue, especially if he has been released from civ employment etc. My old unit always took them on MTD's and chased alternative employment for anyone in this position. We had a few that gave up civ job, gave up rented flat, etc. as they were supposedly going away for a year and were suddenly back in town homeless and jobless. Have also experience of employers filling civ job with a replacement on 12month contract, so they wouldn't take person back on when Mobilisation fell through 2 months in.

It's fine for regulars to be RTU'd when a post falls through, however when TA pers have taken time out of civ job etc. it's a different matter. The impact on others in the unit who may have been considering mobilisation and on civilian employers who have been ****d about also needs to be considered.

14. msr

msr LE

That said, there seem to be a number of people who were mobilised and were subsequently offered jobs at Chilwell.

msr

15. Can't comment about the process during the current unpleasantness, but something similar happened to a lad who joined the Regt for a tour in Bosnia, he was a HHI and the job we did lost its heli role just before deployment, loads of regs were stood down as well, he effectively was jobless, but because he was contracted to work for the 6 months on tour he ended up going doing all manner of odd jobs, all well below his rank expectations.