what happens after phase 2 (applying for systems engineer)

So what exactly happens once you've completed your basic technical training in phase 2? I see a nice list of qualifications you can obtain on the army website and I'd like to soak up as many as I can, are you assigned to a unit or can you choose to remain at blandford and study?

Couple of things. From memory, the word 'choose' in the Army was laughable, especially in the early years.

Secondly, your chosen Corps probably needs you at a working unit. Qualifications come in time, you are not at university.

Congratulations for getting this far and thinking positively. Enjoy your career and good luck.

As i suspected its just the recruiter who handled my application seemed to make it sound like you could stay on but it makes more sense they'd put you to work before spending more money on you.

Then again the recruiter wasnt a soldier either, i left with less knowledge than i walked in with that guy, they should have left the interview process to the soldiers.

As i suspected its just the recruiter who handled my application seemed to make it sound like you could stay on but it makes more sense they'd put you to work before spending more money on you.

Then again the recruiter wasnt a soldier either, i left with less knowledge than i walked in with that guy, they should have left the interview process to the soldiers.
Please, please, for the love of baby jeezus, don't open that can of worms on this thread.

I am by no means current, but have been a trade instructor at Blandford.

I would have thought (and certainly in my day), you would want as little to do with Blandford as possible, after spending about a year there as a trainee. It's not a bad posting as permanent staff, or the odd non-training role there, but trainees, whether on basic, upgrading, YofS, FofS and Tp Comd courses generally want the hell out of there.

The Corps' trade structure, like the rest the Army, is very structured. You can't stay on after your basic course and do your upgrading course. You need a few years in the field (used to be 4-5, minimum), and then you could sit the entrance exam for the upgrading course. Might be a different number of years now, and maybe no longer the entrance exam, but you can't do the upgrading course straight after the basic course. Or the FofS course straight after the upgrading course.

So what exactly happens once you've completed your basic technical training in phase 2? I see a nice list of qualifications you can obtain on the army website and I'd like to soak up as many as I can, are you assigned to a unit or can you choose to remain at blandford and study?
There's good news and bad news. Firstly though, you might be posted to Blandford but that is not the same as being invited to stay on. The Corps has just secured significant funding for additional accredited training that will be available for all. This has been down to a small handful of LE Officers, obviously the OBE went elsewhere. The bad news is that all degree accreditation for upgrading and supervisory courses has been lost. This has been down to a small handful of Civil Servants with questions ethics. It's a good time to join, bad time to stay in.

I am by no means current, but have been a trade instructor at Blandford.

I would have thought (and certainly in my day), you would want as little to do with Blandford as possible, after spending about a year there as a trainee. It's not a bad posting as permanent staff, or the odd non-training role there, but trainees, whether on basic, upgrading, YofS, FofS and Tp Comd courses generally want the hell out of there.

The Corps' trade structure, like the rest the Army, is very structured. You can't stay on after your basic course and do your upgrading course. You need a few years in the field (used to be 4-5, minimum), and then you could sit the entrance exam for the upgrading course. Might be a different number of years now, and maybe no longer the entrance exam, but you can't do the upgrading course straight after the basic course. Or the FofS course straight after the upgrading course.
Trade structure is about to change to a modular format as opposed to three big bang courses.

There seems to be quite a few valuable courses available and some worth more than others, can you choose which kind of direction you want to go in or do you just get what you're offered when they do allow you to progress?

Last edited:
There seems to be quite a few valuable courses available and some worth more than others, can you choose which kind of direction you want to go in or do you just get what you're offered when they do allow you to progress?
That is the intent, however we are in a "pre-transition"phase where the school is planning how they will move to the new model. That sounds gash but in reality it is progressing well. Either way you will be part of it (far far too late for me) early on in your career. How it will pan out will be anyones guess, hopefully the enhanced qualification opportunities will improve recruiting. Retention is another matter.