WHAT GPS RECOMMENDATIONS?

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
Finally my Foretrex 101 has died a death and needs replacing. My natural choice would have been the Foretrex 601 as the much updated version but more and more people are using various types of GPS watches which got me thinking. Is it worth getting one?

I quite like the Garmin Instinct as a wearable piece tech, seems reasonably straight forward to use and does what I want it to in the same way as the Foretrex, namely shows a grid reference.

But am I missing a trick? All I want is grid reference information, journey data such as; elapsed time, walking speed, the ability to plot way points and plot/upload routes and finally decent battery life between charges or replaceable batteries.

Is there another version or brand that I should consider that will do what I want? What I'm not particularly interested in though is fitness coaching.

Opinions and thoughts welcome.

Finally my Foretrex 101 has died a death and needs replacing. My natural choice would have been the Foretrex 601 as the much updated version but more and more people are using various types of GPS watches which got me thinking. Is it worth getting one?

I quite like the Garmin Instinct as a wearable piece tech, seems reasonably straight forward to use and does what I want it to in the same way as the Foretrex, namely shows a grid reference.

But am I missing a trick? All I want is grid reference information, journey data such as; elapsed time, walking speed, the ability to plot way points and plot/upload routes and finally decent battery life between charges or replaceable batteries.

Is there another version or brand that I should consider that will do what I want? What I'm not particularly interested in though is fitness coaching.

Opinions and thoughts welcome.
Out of curiosity - why is the GR so important?

To complement my map and compass and if location needed finding quickly in an emergency situation.
Fair enough - just wondered - it's a rare thing to require.

Anyway, can't particularly help as I've an aging Garmin Fenix 3 that can do loads of stuff but it's never used for anything other than basic trail/run mapping - I use much, much better phone software for positioning and/or location stuff.

When the F3 packs up, I'll just go for a watch that does the basics reliably and works with a chest HRM.

I have a Garmin Etrex which has given me excellent service however for the past couple of years I bought OS Electronic version which uses GPS for location ... I can create routes on my Laptop and fly through them and view and use and track on my Mob Tel .... for about £30 pa ... all UK Maps with ezcellent resolution .

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
OS Maps on Android (and PC) is great and well worth the £26 IIRC annual subscription, you need to have a charger of some sort for more than a days bimble though as GPS canes the battery, personally I use a Garmin GPSMAP64s for extended trips.
Both will give you a UK GR, the Garmin will give you any number of alternatives including WGS84
Like you, the map & compass is my primary navigational method, with the GPS being the backup.

I posted on other threads I have rationalised my torch , camera and Mob Tel etc so that they are all capable of being charged with the appropriate lead from a large capacity Power Bank .

ETA I too am very much old school map , compass .... even pacing ... the electronic aids add anothet level of enjoyment .

Last edited:
View Ranger on a decent smartphone, you need nothing else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup - It's what we use.

We also use this, and a number of add ons but it's a bit more serious than for normal bimblers - Mapyx

Latest Threads