• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

What Games would you like to see re-made?

Two of my favourites I'd love to see them with updated graphics but I don't think the gameplay could be improved much as they were groundbreaking at the time.
Half Life and Deus Ex.

Two of my favourites I'd love to see them with updated graphics but I don't think the gameplay could be improved much as they were groundbreaking at the time.
Half Life and Deus Ex.
There's a Source engine remake of HL on Steam called "Black Mesa".

I’ve never seen that before (now looking for an appropriate emulator) - it’d be good as a “GTA from the other side” but with added evidence collection, more developed missions/stories etc.
You can buy it on Steam for PC - I just know it will be shit despite the nostalgia.

Its not the same though, It doesn't evoke the same emotion. Might just be my rose-tinted specs and teary nostalgia though...
Therein lies the problem, a lot of the time whatever made them special for you gets lost in translation or you've simply moved on yourself.

I got FF7 for the Playstation a while back, thought it would be a great trip down memory lane, just not the same playing it now though.

I got FF7 for the Playstation a while back, thought it would be a great trip down memory lane, just not the same playing it now though.
It is a sad truth that you can only ever play a game for the first time once. The Big Reveals in Halo, Mass Effect, Baldurs Gate...they’re brilliant the first time, but no matter how good the game is it’s never quite the same afterwards.

Theme Hospital that ran on Windows 95, 98SE and XP.
Good practice it seems for some managers now running the NHS!

It is a sad truth that you can only ever play a game for the first time once. The Big Reveals in Halo, Mass Effect, Baldurs Gate...they’re brilliant the first time, but no matter how good the game is it’s never quite the same afterwards.
The sad thing is I don't seem to get those kind of feelings from games these days, maybe it's just my getting older or the quality of the writing just isn't is good.

Mass effect would be a good example, I absolutely loved the first trilogy (ending apart) but the latest one seems like it was written by the work experience bod. Played a few hours of it and while the gameplay is alright the storytelling is utter garbage.

Most of the games I have fond memories of I was playing while I was young or at uni. I had nothing else to do so they find my young life with colour and stories. Its the same reason I watched so many great films and listened to so many great albums and read so many great books.

Now I'm old and have a job and kids. I don't get 5 minutes to wipe my arse during the week let alone time to do anything fun. All my nostalgia is based on having time to enjoy stuff, pre-wife-and-kids.

Having said that I found an emulator for the original Premiere Manager a couple of years ago. It was simple enough to play without actually being a footy manager, but deep enough to get in to.

Reminded me of my uni days, but I nearly got sacked due to not actually doing any work.

As previously mentioned; Red Storm Rising. Had that on either Amiga or Commodore, I forget which. Took hours to load and crap graphics but very enjoyable.
Team Yankee, I enjoyed that too.
Try this Red Storm Rising
Game instructions can be found on the site too. Run it with no Joystick , sound 4 graphics 4. The anti copy is disabled so you don't have to remember the ship outlines, any will work.
I think you have to play i =t online in browser page.

Lots of other games there too.

Games I'd like to see remade:

Empire/Napoleon Total War, or even one based around that period, warhammer just doesn't do it for me, and throwing mass of infantry into a blob like Rome isn't of interest either.

BF3 for PS4, 64 Player severs and more vehicles, great fun.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Try this Red Storm Rising
Game instructions can be found on the site too. Run it with no Joystick , sound 4 graphics 4. The anti copy is disabled so you don't have to remember the ship outlines, any will work.
I think you have to play i =t online in browser page.

Lots of other games there too.
Excellent, thanks. I'll give that a go. Good find.

If anyone does not know of the moh games, shame on you !!! a brilliant take on the soundtrack
I'd quite like to see the later MoH games remade into ones which are actually any good.

What Games would you like to see re-made?

Association football - It could be remade so that players would be allowed to pick up the ball and run with it. We could call it something different - like, say 'Rugby football'.

Cricket - This could be remade so that a very large wall in the centre of the pitch is painted in turns by either side. Several days could then be spent by spectators, who would watch the paint dry. In keeping with the original game, the winner would be decided according to rules that nobody could really understand.