What 'Game Bird' is this?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by mmm-babies-heads, Mar 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've looked in lots of places for the answer to this and thought the experts on ARRSE will know straight away. Thing is, I thought Game birds were pretty timid creatures and didn't hang about if someone looked at them never mind point something at them. There are six of these hooligans hanging about the area and posed quite happily whilst I clicked away with my old toy which still feels like a new one. They turned their beaks up at a bit of bread after a short while and preferred invisible seeds/amoebas
    Any takers? .... and counting!

Attached Files:

2. I take it this is a wah!?

3. No wah

Partridge

4. As Waitout says .... " No Wah" I only took it about half an hour ago and don't shoot or hunt and didn't know what it it was... hence the genuine 'Q
    That didn't take long did it? My neighbour reckons it is a Quail!! WTF do I know (or him)

5. You could have saved time and googled it :)

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The only question should be Frenchman or Chukar?

7. Ok fair one, sorry for doubting you! Definately a partridge!

8. It looks better after it's been marinated.

9. You see Ugly.. you were just the expert I had in mind! Anyway, call me Old fashioned but since when did any form of game bird hang about on a fairly posh housing estate and peck well manicured lawns (generally that is,not mine) in gangs of six?

@Waitout.. believe it or not, I did google 'Pictures of game birds' and that fecker wasn't in the lineup! which seems rather odd as it's a bloody well known bird. In my meagre defence, when they first appeared ,none of them looked like that and didn't have any colour at all!

10. That was not the " game bird" I was hoping for...............

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a stuffed partridge which doesnt look like any either, I suppose it could have been a grey but Chukars are illegal to release as are quail (they do escape though) and the French brreders were known to cross redlegs with Chukars. The difference is I am told in the amount of dark bars on the wings (no not D Day stripes)!

12. They are coming in the gardens at work, they are a little on the stupid side, as they don't run until the dogs get about 2 foot away from them. I am getting sick of seeing the dead bodies from when the dogs do catch them. Even worse is the pheasant they caught this morning, bloody feathers got every where!!

TPBD

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oh and they are Coveys not gangs, try BASC they have a good handbook for quarry!

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You are describing the keepers nightmare, keep them alive july to october whilst they are too young and stupid to look after themselves, try to kill them from October to Feb and then watch them wander round with impunity till they meet a car!

15. Definitely yer common Partridge as already said.