What film would you remake?

I would like to make a modern version of "In Which We Serve" but due to spending cuts I would retitle it "In Which We Share".

I kno this is slightly off subject.
Can anyone remember an army tv programme set late 70's,in Hong Kong,(well before 'Soldier,Soldier'),called 'Spear Head', about the
('1st Bn Royal Wessex Rangers'?)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I kno this is slightly off subject.
Can anyone remember an army tv programme set late 70's,in Hong Kong,(well before 'Soldier,Soldier'),called 'Spear Head', about the
('1st Bn Royal Wessex Rangers'?)
Given the fact that Series 1 is currently airing on the Talking Movies (or something) channel as announced on Arrse a couple of weeks ago, I imagine so.

What surprises me is that it's universally described as first aired in 1978, yet I remember clearly walking into Tidworth via Coronation Street, passing I think Jelalabad Barracks, cannot have been later than summer 77 cos I did a 3week free fall course before embarkation leave and posting to BAOR in October, and I knew they were filming Spearhead without being told because, I thought, it had already been on telly.

Obviously we can all be wrong.

I can vaguely remember it,didnt know it was being shown being shown on any channel,will check Virgin Channels. Thanks FTM.
I was 7 goin on 8 when this brought out.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I can vaguely remember it,didnt know it was being shown being shown on any channel,will check Virgin Channels. Thanks FTM.
I was 7 goin on 8 when this brought out.
As someone said on the TV forum, it's regularly run out on channels such as this.

As an aside. I missed eps 1 and 2 so I tried to catch them on YouTube via Nipper's FireStick. Fail.

It's better than Soldier Soldier by a country mile and tries hard, but documentary it ain't.

Kes, but lose the bird and the kid and just have two hours of a a CGI'd Brian Glover shouting at children.

Bridge over the River Kwai. Serious head on - to give Colonel Toosey a fair representation of what he actually did to subvert the Japanese efforts (I appreciate that the CO is not based on Toosey, but it would be nice to give the man a measure of acknowledgement for just how bloody difficult & dangerous his job was as well.)

Last edited:

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Bridge over the River Kwai. Serious head on - to give Colonel Toosey a fair representation of what he actually did to subvert the Japanese efforts (I appreciate that the CO is not based on Toosey, but it would be nice to give the man a measure of acknowledgement for just how bloody difficult & dangerous his job was as well.)
Loathed to suggest it, but in the same vain i'd say Zulu... i know.

Only for one point - the mis-representation of 'Hookie':

"Saul David writes in his book, Zulu: The Heroism and Tragedy of the Zulu War of 1879,[4] that Alfred Henry "Harry" Hook VC was there as the hospital cook, subsequently as part of a small guard detail assigned to protect the patients. Saul David continues that far from the miscreant portrayed, Hook was actually a teetotaler, methodist preacher and model soldier.

Further to this, he had been awarded Good Conduct pay shortly before the battle"
A cook winning a VC, who'd have thought it?

Or "The Wild Geese"
this time have Roger Moore play the part of the billionaire who sells the "The Wild Geese" out to the rebel troops.
Faulkner -Robson Green
Janders - Matt Damon
Flynn - Jamie Foxx
Kruger - Christoph Waltz
R.S.M - Mark Wahlberg
Arthur Witty -BravoBravo

Only for one point - the mis-representation of 'Hookie':

"Saul David writes in his book, Zulu: The Heroism and Tragedy of the Zulu War of 1879,[4] that Alfred Henry "Harry" Hook VC was there as the hospital cook, subsequently as part of a small guard detail assigned to protect the patients. Saul David continues that far from the miscreant portrayed, Hook was actually a teetotaler, methodist preacher and model soldier.

Further to this, he had been awarded Good Conduct pay shortly before the battle"
A cook winning a VC, who'd have thought it?
The characters of Hook and Hitch were swopped for some bizarre reason.

And a cook winning a medal for killing the other side...

I'd remake Braveheart, with Mel Gibson again, but spend well over nine tenths of the film on the execution scene. Having spent most of the rest of the film making the point that the Jockistanis handed him over to us.